UKC

Toubkal Circuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 30 Aug 2013
Off to Morocc next Friday. Just wondering if anyone who has done the Toubkal Circuit and ascent could give me a brief resume of their experience of it.

Thanks.
meehaja 30 Aug 2013
The 10 day walking circuit? Fairly good terrain in most places, some narrow ledges (like 6 inches, so not that narrow really), some light scrambling in places. The worst bit (for me at least) was the steep scree banks, where the unnerving fear was that if I fell, I wouldn't die, but I would slide to the bottom of the valley and have to walk all the way back up!

Toubkal itself was a pleasant walk up to base camp, quite a busy route, lots of pinch points where groups can't pass so some queueing at key points. From the basecamp, we set off at around 5am, no need for crampons/axes (in may) just kicked steps into the snow and up we went. There were a few bits where hands were needed, but nothing dramatic. the top gets crowded for photos etc. Watching teh sunrise from the top is pretty awesome.

Everywhere you go there will be a burber selling coca cola. These guys are legendary and seem to arrive just as you need them! Buy a massive bag of caramalised nuts in marakech before you go up, they get you through! The food we had was generally excellent, but I had to surrender my vegetarianism for 2 weeks. In the evenings there is usually some nice boulder acticvities, but mostly I just wandered around the villages enjoying ingenious building methods and irrigation techniques.

I'd love to do it again, and I lost all my photos (from 2003) so take loads of memory cards. It gets a bit nuts if it rains and remember when haggling for tat, $5 difference means f'all to most of us and quite a lot to the locals. Drink mint tea!
OP mypyrex 30 Aug 2013
In reply to meehaja: Thanks, sounds good. I've done the Pyrenees and been twice to Nepal so Morocco is new for me.
meehaja 30 Aug 2013
I'd love to do it again with my wife, but it'll be at least 18 years before I'm allowed to go on holidays like that again!
OP mypyrex 30 Aug 2013
In reply to meehaja: Why 18 years?
 paul walters 31 Aug 2013
In reply to mypyrex: Baby ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...