UKC

New Bike Help C2W

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wile E. Coyote 02 Sep 2013
Hi all,

I’ve signed up to the Cycle to Work scheme and before I could pay the shop for the bike I wanted they sold the last one in my size (Felt F95 – Monster Green).
I’ve spent all morning looking for the bike by cross referencing the Felt suppliers list with the cyclescheme partner shops and it’s come up blank, everyone has sold out.

My question is this, I now have £600 (give/take £60 absolute max) for a new road bike. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be worth taking a look at?

I want carbon forks and race geometry, and I don’t want SS/Fixed. Basically similar to the F95.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
 blurty 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Wile E. Coyote:

My son has an alloy Boardman, that was around that money. He has been delighted with it, great quality kit and a decent groupset. Are Halfords an option for your scheme?
In reply to blurty: Thanks for the relpy. I've just checked the website and it doesn't look like Halfords are a partner unfortunatly.
 tony 02 Sep 2013

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty certain that Halfords are signed up to the government Cycle to Work scheme - is yours something different?
 andy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to gary.barr)
>
> Are you sure about that? I'm pretty certain that Halfords are signed up to the government Cycle to Work scheme - is yours something different?

There are a number of schemes that all use the same bit of legislation - Halford's run one, and there's another that is signed up to by lots of smaller retailers. I think Evans Cycles do their own too. But they're not interchangeable - employers choose one and that's the one you're stuck with.
 The New NickB 02 Sep 2013
In reply to tony:

The government 'scheme' is simply the tax arrangement, various commercially run schemes that take advantage of this are available. I think Halfords have their own, most companies seem to go with the one which allows people to use most independent bike shops.
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to tony)
>
> The government 'scheme' is simply the tax arrangement, various commercially run schemes that take advantage of this are available. I think Halfords have their own, most companies seem to go with the one which allows people to use most independent bike shops.

Yup, that's exactly what it is. I'm with cyclescheme.
 sleavesley 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: ribble do cyclescheme but not the felt. Have a look at other bikes. Ribble have a good selection and you can go full carbon for a bit more.
 Andy_B39 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: What size frame were you after in the F95? These guys, http://www.ratrace.com/brands/felt/ , have a some in different colours and the model up(F85) reduced to within your budget.
 DaveHK 02 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
>
> But they're not interchangeable - employers choose one and that's the one you're stuck with.

This is incorrect in my experience. My employer uses Halfords to administer the scheme and Halfrauds try to kid on that you must spend your money with them. This is not the case. I got the voucher through them but went to my LBS for the bike
In reply to Andy_B39: I'm after a 56cm, I could go for a 54cm but I'm leaning towards the lager frame.
mountain_bikerider 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: I went to Ribble on my C2W scheme and bought a Sportive 7005. They are doing a summer special at the moment for £599 with Tiagra groupset and conti tyres.
 rob_lee 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: I've had an Allez for 2 years and it is a great durable 1st or 2nd bike, since getting it I have upgraded the wheels as they were very heavy and the 2012 saddle didn't suit me. Im 5'10 with what I would consider as an average inside leg so I have put a front crank on which has a 172 crank arm as I couldn't get on with the 175 supplied, the frame and rear mech has done a few thousand miles and was a daily method of getting to work for a while and still feels great and runs smooth, very happy with my purchase and has now cost me pence per a mile, ( my bike before was a carrera Tdf so my experience is limited)
 andy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> This is incorrect in my experience. My employer uses Halfords to administer the scheme and Halfrauds try to kid on that you must spend your money with them. This is not the case. I got the voucher through them but went to my LBS for the bike

It's not incorrect - there are a number of schemes and they are not interchangeable. Halfords now have arrangements with some bike shops who can take their vouchers - Chevin Cycles in Otley and Leisure Lakes amongst quite a few others - but as your employer gives the money to Halfords it's difficult to see how a bike shop that didn't have some arrangement with them would get their money.
 DaveHK 02 Sep 2013
In reply to andy:

Sorry, when you said 'not interchangeable' I took you to mean 'can't be used at another shop' which was the bit of misinformation circulating in my work place.

It's a shame that the big retailers are tying it up now as it's much less profitable for the small local shops. I took my voucher for a grand to my LBS and he told me that Halfords will invoice him for £150 of that.
 andy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to DaveHK: gotcha - you're right in that Halford's don't make it too clear, but their head office team will provide you with a list of independents who can take their vouchers. I just remember Leisure Lakes and Chevin as they were the nearest to Skipton I could find.
In reply to mountain_bikerider: As I'm new to this roadie business, I'm not fully aware of all the good and bad makes. A few people have said Ribble to me, are they a sold brand/bike builder?

In reply to Wile E. Coyote: and is the summer deal by Ribble mentioned above a good deal?
 DaveHK 02 Sep 2013
> (In reply to mountain_bikerider) As I'm new to this roadie business, I'm not fully aware of all the good and bad makes. A few people have said Ribble to me, are they a sold brand/bike builder?

TBH there aren't really any bad makes. The key is to get the bike that fits you best and suits your type of riding.

Ribble have been about for ages. The bikes get good reviews and are great VFM. Like most bikes they are made in the far east.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...