UKC

Anyone know much about Echo 112

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 03 Sep 2013
Does anyone know much about Echo 112 http://www.echo112.com/?

Seems to be a free, cross platform smart phone app that enables you to ring the nearest local emergency service whilst also sending your location to the Emergency Services.

I think it works in Europe not sure about elsewhere.

Adam Long 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Jim Walton:

As I understand it, you don't need an app to ring 112. Dialling automatically uses any available network and sends your location. You also get a switchboard which isn't clogged up with idiots dialling 999.
Shearwater 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Adam Long:
> (In reply to Jim Walton)
>
> As I understand it, you don't need an app to ring 112. Dialling automatically uses any available network and sends your location.

Sorta. If you're dialling from a mobile, the operators will get a bunch of base station info, maybe even some triangulation data. This'll pin you down to a pretty small area if you're in a city or in a major ski resort; not so much if you're up a hill in the middle of nowhere.

This app uses some newer system that lets a compliant device include GPS positioning data too, which will be substantially more accurate. Needing additional software to do this is probably only temporary.
In reply to Adam Long:

> You also get a switchboard which isn't clogged up with idiots dialling 999.

In the UK, dialling 112 will connect you to the same service as if you dialled 999; the numbers are handled identically. So you're stuck with the idiots, I'm afraid...
 Tobydud 03 Sep 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: There is a video in the 'instructional' section called ""Help Me" The Secrets of using 112 on a mobile phone in an emergency/accident", which is pretty useful. You can register to send emergency calls by text - which I didn't know about before. Worth a watch if you have a couple of minutes spare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...