Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bivvy bags

fionafluffy - on 03 Sep 2013
I'm thinking of getting a bivvy bag, mainly because I have ridiculous shoulders which can't reliably carry much weight.

I am not a hardcore camper. I don't want to sleep out in a blizzard. I just want to be able to wild camp when we have fantastic summer nights like we have had this year. I feel the cold, but have a very warm, cuddly cosy sleeping bag. Although I wouldn't actually go out in the rain to camp, this being the UK it is highly likely that I will get rained upon at some point during the night, so I don't really want to have my face uncovered to the wind and rain (although in my minds eye I am camping on a sultry mid-summer's night where I will be too hot rather than cold and there will be a bit of dew but no cold...)

What kind of bivvy bag would be recommend? Weight is my main consideration - I have a 1 person tent which is 1.6kg. It is a very old gent now and the front pole is bent and although it is serviceable when I finally managed to pitch it, it is a devil of a job to pitch properly if there is only one of you. To replace it with a modern counterpart requires me to take out a mortgage... So, given that, I am looking for something that is lighter than my tent - or at least no heavier - and considerably cheaper than the equivalent lightweight tent - Alpkit do a bivvy bag for as little as 30...(although I am not sure about this as it doesn't seem to have a cover for the face)

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?? I am thinking of going on a hiking tour of the Lakes next week and though I expect to stay mainly on hostels it would be nice to have some emergency backup...
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums