UKC

Who's who in the Grand tours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 06 Sep 2013
I'm watching La Vuelta, I watched Le Tour. I recognise some of the names and remember some of the discussions on here but I ma struggling to engage with the characters of cycling because I don't know about them. I don't know who I want to win
What do I need to know about the contenders/participants?
Please answer however you feel is appropriate but I was thinking who has been found out as a drug cheat in the past, who has displayed horrific unsportsmanlike behaviour, who has been the opposite, who do you like/dislike and why?
 Chris the Tall 06 Sep 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
Valverde and Basso were implicated in Puerto, were very prominent in the Armstrong years, but I don't think either of them have been very forthcoming about what they took.

I'd like to believe nibbles, Rodriguez and particularly Roche are clean, there is no direct evidence against them, but I don't trust the teams behind them. Astana and Saxo are managed by unrepentant dopers, whilst Katusha may be a vehicle for money laundering.

Chris Horner was discussed on the other thread

Stil, the scenery is great !!
OP Puppythedog 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: Thanks Chris, I've only just cought up with La Vuelta having been watching it on ITV player so have avoided the other thread. Heading there now.
I feel like I want to Root for Nibbles but I'm not sure why and there is a part of me saying no. I remember watching Bossen Hagen in le tour a couple of years ago an dliking him but again I don't know why.
 Chris the Tall 06 Sep 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
Good analysis here

http://velocast.cc/shows
 Mike Highbury 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to puppythedog)
> Valverde and Basso were implicated in Puerto, were very prominent in the Armstrong years, but I don't think either of them have been very forthcoming about what they took.
>
For implicated in Puerto read both have served bans

But sooner a Spanish (or Italian) doper with a filthy past and cycling in his heart than a squeaky clean Northern European tester

Removed User 06 Sep 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Remember there are plenty of Grand Tour key characters who aren't doing the Vuelta.

OP Puppythedog 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Removed User: Indeed, I'm hoping for a run down on them all I'm just really getting into it. I'll follow the link posted earlier but any comments are appreciated.
 DaveHK 06 Sep 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

You want to root for Nicholas Roche because he's almost certainly clean and god loves a trier.

As for the rest, Horner is engaging and clearly loves to ride his bike.
Valverde is cheating b*astard of the unrepentant variety but still exciting to watch.
Purito is electrifying on the right terrain.
Basso is another cheat but not even exciting to watch.
Nibali is the most complete package.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...