UKC

advice on new road bike needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesg85 06 Sep 2013
Hi, I need a new bike because I've had my old one for about 12 years and although I like it, it's far too small now. What do you think of this bike as a replacement, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/beone-storm-comp-shimano-105-road-bike-2...
It seems like a bargain, just one size left, 45cm, which is small but at 5ft 4 the guy on the phone said it would fit me, apparently it's for 5ft3 to 5ft5. I'm nervous about ordering over the internet and would rather have it fitted in a shop but it seems like a good bargain, thanks, James
Rigid Raider 06 Sep 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield:

That looks like quite a decent entry-level road bike.

If you need advice on setting it up, come on here or join Cycle Chat, where there's a friendly crowd more than willing to help.
 Escher 06 Sep 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: I bought a Beone Mistral Comp a couple of years ago from Chain Reaction, very similar spec and with 105. That's a bargain price for something with 105, if in the future you want to upgrade the frame you can just swap over the group. Everything else is pretty reasonable on the bike too for the price. I say go for it! You're not going to find any better for the price new.
 TobyA 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Escher:
> I bought a Beone Mistral Comp a couple of years ago from Chain Reaction, very similar spec and with 105.

Does yours look like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fjVLL6b7yqw/T-GWZFeTNNI/AAAAAAAAFqw/MKz9JKpRsNo/s... if so; snap!

Not too sure what the difference is between the Mistrals of a couple of years back - mine is 105 too - and the Storm the OP is considering. But I did the same, buying mine at this time of year when it was 40% off. I've been hugely happy with mine, I ridden a lot of kms on it since in the last 2 years and it is still running very smoothly and quietly.

I have a Sora-mix of components on my CX bike and they are noticeably not as good as 105. Indeed everytime I ride the On One the smooth shifting and quiet elegance of the gears really stands out - so to the OP, to get a bike with 105 for that price I think has to be a bargain! I'd go for it.

Chain Reaction messed my delivery up sending the bike only semi-built - steering not cut; none of the gears sorted out etc. I didn't have the experience of cutting a carbon steerer so had to have a local shop do it then Chain Reaction refunded the costs that the bike shop charged me. A hassle, but all worked out in the end. The bike itself has been great; a friend who is a former pro said Be One had a rep for making very good aluminum frames when he was racing, for what its worth. I've not ridden many other modern road bikes to compare it too but it definitely has more kick than my old steel frame bike when you really push hard.
OP jamesg85 06 Sep 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: thanks for that, seems like a good option then, my current bike I got when I was 14 so will be quite a big difference.
 a13x 07 Sep 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield:

My concern would be buying a bike you have never ridden but maybe chain reaction have a returns policy? So you could try it. But I guess that would be a bit of a hastle!

Alex
OP jamesg85 07 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x: Yes they have a free returns policy but you're right it would be a hassle. The guy on the phone said it would definitely fit after taking my size but I'm still nervous. What's swaying me is that I'm unlikely to find a bike as good for the price.
 TobyA 07 Sep 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: Go for it James!

Bikes are virtually all off the peg now, so you may have to mess around a bit to get a good fit. But moving the saddle is a two minute job; the spacers on steerer mean you can move your handle bars up or down slightly, a ten minute job; etc. Even buying a whole new stem isn't hugely expensive. So I'm sure you'll get it to fit fine - and at the end of the day the bike is half price and you're getting 105 which is excellent stuff for a great price. You'll love it I'm sure. I wrote a little bit about buying my new bike here http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2011/09/road-biking-in-helsinki-hinter...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...