UKC

synthetic belay jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 09 Sep 2013
What can people recommend as a good synthetic belay jacket? looking at a price range of 70-100 pounds (or cheaper if possible). Something thats obviusly warm but also very durable for winter climbing and ski touring ect?
thanks
 martinph78 09 Sep 2013
In reply to sethmford: Montane Prism can be found for £85
 top cat 09 Sep 2013
In reply to sethmford:

I'm looking for a Montane Flux to replace my Paramo Torres. The Flux seems to have it all for climbing (high pockets, double ended zip for belay loop access, big hood).

Can't find a large anywhere though.
 climber34neil 09 Sep 2013
In reply to sethmford: I have the flux and found it to be a great jacket, I used it in Scotland last winter and was plenty warm enough, I don't think the prism is enough for a belay jacket, if you shop around you could probably get the flux for around the top end of your budget,
 climber34neil 09 Sep 2013
In reply to sethmford: outdoorgb doing the flux for £112 at moment
In reply to climber34neil:

Prism is definately not a belay jacket!!

Stuart
 BnB 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie:
> (In reply to climber34neil)
>
> Prism is definately not a belay jacket!!
>
> Stuart

It's is a damned good one over 3 seasons, but the usual suspects: Flux, Alpine Generator, Fitzroy, are more suited to winter. I find the Flux oddly sized. Too tight unless you size it up. And then too much bag in odd places. I bought a TNF Makalu because it doubles well for snowboarding or in town and is definitely warmer and drier having a wind and waterproof membrane.
 Nathan Adam 10 Sep 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie: Never had a problem with mines so far, older models are better suited with the two way zips to help with belaying.

I tend to run pretty hot though so worth bumping up the insulation if you feel the cold more.
 top cat 11 Sep 2013
In reply to climber34neil:
> (In reply to sethmford) outdoorgb doing the flux for £112 at moment
But no stock in L or XL.................same story everywhere??? Unless someone knows better??

mark burley 11 Sep 2013
In reply to top cat: what colour do you want. Ultralight outdoor gear have red and blue in large but £25 over budget.
Check Montane.com online dealer page for other suppliers
 mattrm 11 Sep 2013
In reply to sethmford:

Paramo Torres is nice and warm.

I have used a Montane Prism for belaying in before now.

Rab are selling the Plasma hoodie, for £100 which looks nice and warm. Certainly the right weight.
In reply to BnB:

I have the older Prism (25gram fill), not warm enough IMO. It's a great midlayer under a shell, thin, slick, not as a stand alone piece to stay warm in.

Usually if somethings warm enough to belay, it's a pain to hang off your harness and I don't like climbing hard routes with a sack, which is the kinda routes you really NEED one for!!!!

Something is better than nothing though.

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...