UKC

Correct size of frame

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 20 Sep 2013
I want to get a Dawes super galaxy. I'm 6'2" with an inside leg of about 34". I was thinking I need a 58 or 60cm frame. I found a good one nearby, but too far away to try easily, that is 57cm. Has anyone got an opinion as to whether this would be ok. I've talked to a few people in town who say that people are getting smaller frames these days and raised the seatpost and handlebars to compensate. Thanks.
 MattJP 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

How far is too far away? I was professionally fitted to my new road bike and it does make a difference.

This frame is a 58cm. I could be a 60 or 56 on a different geometry bike. I am 6'2" ona good day, inside leg 33".

You take take a gamble that pays off, or you could be p1ssing about with seat post and stems for ever!

A mate told me when I was looking at a bike online that 'would I buy a pair of walking boots without trying them on...?' I took her advice.

Hace you got a bike shop locally or a mate with a bike you could sit on and try?

I got the Specialized Sectuer Elite Sport.

Cheers and Good Luck!
 Andy_B39 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Phil1919: For road bikes, our bike fitter at work goes by the formula of your inside leg measurement(in cm) multiplied by 0.65 to give ideal frame size.
 gethin_allen 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Andy_B39:
That seems a bit small to me, I have a 32 inch/81.3 cm inside leg (measured to the floor) and ride a 56 cm frame. Admittedly that is. Compact geometry and the 56 cm stated size is a made up size adjusted to compare with a standard frame, but still my old bike was also a 56 cm and that was standard sizing.
 Glyno 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Andy_B39:
> (In reply to Clint86) For road bikes, our bike fitter at work goes by the formula of your inside leg measurement(in cm) multiplied by 0.65 to give ideal frame size.

To avoid mixing up cms and inches, I was advised, inside leg x 1.65 (which equates to much the same as your formula).
 Jim Hamilton 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

just a thought - are you sure they make a 57 cm frame , and it's not really a 58 ?
 Siward 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Phil1919: Are you measuring your proper cyclists inside leg? (i.e. crotch to ground). My measurement measured thus is 36" and I ride a 61cm frame- fits great.

http://www.dawescycles.com/t-sizingguide.aspx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...