UKC

Urgent cassette maintenance question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 21 Sep 2013
while blasting downhill back from the café this afternoon the chain locked up. The small cog had shifted out from the hub and chain jammed in the gap. When taking the wheel off I found the lockring had become loose and some sort of plastic gasket/washer beneath it had got mangled. I tightened the lockring my hand and made it home.
But I've just packed up the bike for a flight to Ireland on Monday morning as I'm taking part in my client's min sportive in Cork next week.

So my options are to:
1. risk riding on Saturday with finger tight lockring
2. find if one of my client's staff has a lockring tool they can lend me
3. try and take time out to visit a Cork LBS

What is the importance of the mangled plastic washer? I'm assuming it's fairly important or it wouldn't be there. Will I have to buy a whole cassette (from Cork LBS) to replace it?

It's Ultegra 10 speed

Any advice greatly appreciated, Thanks
johnj 21 Sep 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

The plastic washer provides some friction to keep the thing in place, you can get lock ring tools from Halfords, all you need to do is reassemble it and make sure its tight.
 gethin_allen 21 Sep 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: not all cassettes have washers between the lock ring and the cassette and some are thin steel items others plastic. I wouldn't worry too much about the washer so long as the lockring takes up the tension without bottoming out the thread.
Someone is bound to have a cassette tool at a cycling event,
 TobyA 21 Sep 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Someone is bound to have a cassette tool at a cycling event,

I can't remember which way round it is, is he going to need a chain whip as well for tightening the lock ring? Or is that just necessary for undoing it?
 woolsack 21 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
>
> [...]
>
> I can't remember which way round it is, is he going to need a chain whip as well for tightening the lock ring? Or is that just necessary for undoing it?

Just for undoing, the rachet locks it for tightening
 Dangerous Dave 21 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
>
> [...]
>
> I can't remember which way round it is, is he going to need a chain whip as well for tightening the lock ring? Or is that just necessary for undoing it?

That's just for undoing it
 Kevin Forde 22 Sep 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:
Kevin,

In Cork and happy to give you the use of a cassette locking tool if you need it. Just PM me contact details.

Kevin
 woolsack 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Kevin Forde:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> Kevin,
>
> In Cork and happy to give you the use of a cassette locking tool if you need it. Just PM me contact details.
>
> Kevin

The power and reach of UKC is humbling!
 Kevin Forde 22 Sep 2013
In reply to woolsack:
Us Kevins need to stick together!!
In reply to Kevin Forde:

Thanks Everybody, especially Kevin. UKC to the rescue again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...