UKC

Busted helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoshOvki 28 Sep 2013
So I was looking at my helmet today and I noticed the foam in the back is cracked straight through. It is a new style Elios no more than 2 years old. It has never taken any big hits, but has been reasonably used but not abused. When not in use it sits on top of my wardrop so hasn't been damaged laying around the house.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to attempt to send it back to Petzl on Monday. Anyone experienced their customer service on a 2 year old lid? Am I expecting too much for them to do something with it, or will they just say "general wear and tear"?
 GridNorth 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: These styles of helmet are inherently fragile which is a bit ironic considering what their purpose is. My Petzl Meteor III is full of dents which I think have been caused by flight baggage handlers and has a nail sized hole in the rim. I have no idea where that came from. I won't be buying another, there is something a little disconcerting about having to take so much care with something that is meant to protect your head.
OP JoshOvki 28 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Hi Grid, I would have expected it from an all foam helmet, but the hard outer shell is suppose to protect the foam until it takes a big hit.
 GridNorth 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: Sorry I pictured the wrong helmet in my mind. These new Petzl Sirocco helmets look good. I tried a mates on the other week. I looked like a tangerene on a stick but you hardly know you are wearing it and I understand that it is designed to take multiple hits. I'm waiting a little longer in the hope that Petzl have "upped the game" for other manufacturers.
 itsThere 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: My petzl Elios is great, taken lots of abuse. Would buy one again if it was badly damaged.

Only thing i can think of is how you can prove to petzl how this was not from a fall or a heavy bag in a car boot. Lyon have great customer service. http://lyon.co.uk/outdoor/
OP JoshOvki 28 Sep 2013
In reply to itsThere:

I agree, and will buy another one if need be. Seems like such an odd place to break.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1236929_10153251165780462_1127...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1277170_101532511657...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1292108_101532511660...

I bought this one to replace my old style Elios that was used and abused for years.
OP JoshOvki 28 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Easily spotable if you look like a tangerine on a stick
 muppetfilter 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: It looks like the Polystyrine has been bent outwards possibly by the sides being squeezed inwards.
 goose299 28 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to JoshOvki) My Petzl Meteor III is full of dents which I think have been caused by flight baggage handlers

Why on earth would you put your lid in your hold luggage? Mine always comes in my carry on luggage so I know exactly what's happened to it and can keep an eye on it
 GridNorth 28 Sep 2013
In reply to goose299: Because I once had one confiscated by the airport securty.
 martinph78 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: Mine has done the same. Can't say I'm too bothered about it though as I'm happy that it will still do it's job. The Elios is a tough helmet, mine lives on the outside of my pack and has had a lot of abuse.

Pete Potter 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: looks to me like typical damage done whilst the helmet is in or on a rucksack with weight in it and then put down causing stress to the outside rim of the foam part of the helmet.
 PaulN 28 Sep 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: It does look like it's been squashed while in a sac. I've seen a couple damaged like that. I destroyed an Edelerid Multisport helmet in a yak load last year. Despite what I thought was excellent and bombproof packing.
 goose299 29 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
Really? That's mental. What you going to do? Club someone to death with it. Ha ha
 GridNorth 29 Sep 2013
In reply to goose299: I was very annoyed on the way back when I saw loads of snowboarders carrying theirs. On another trip I witnessed one party get through the gates with a rope but a couple of gates away theirs was confiscated. These days I don't take any chances and almost everything goes in the hold.
 goose299 29 Sep 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
I've only carried my helmet as carry on (and only ever that) but I just wouldn't be comfortable with letting the luggage handlers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...