UKC

Difference between Granger's 30C Cleaner and Down Cleaner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 03 Oct 2013
Hi All,

Just wondering what is the difference between the 2 and can you use say 30C cleaner/ performance cleaner on a Down Jacket without any adverse effects? Really would like to know a bit more of the chemicals used and the differences.

I know its a bit of a geeky question but surly one cleaner should cover all bases?

BD
 Mr Fuller 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Boulderdash86: I would ask Grangers themselves, or search their site for ingredient lists. My guess is that the two are very very similar and it would make no difference, but I would contact them to be sure.
OP Boulderdash86 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Boulderdash86: This is the reply I got from Grangers....

Both the Grangers performance cleaner and Down cleaner use similar chemistry to clean garments without effecting breathable membranes and waterproofing properties of clothing. The down cleaner has additives which protect the natural oils found in down. However, the performance cleaner can be used on a down jacket without adverse effects (as long as the garment care label allows).

Thought others might want to make use of this information.

Regards

BD
 Adam Hughes 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Boulderdash86: I was told that the difference between the two were just the labels, and this is because when washing down you have to treat it with a bit more care than other products, just be sure to treat the garments as shown on the down cleaner label and you will be fine, the granger reps always explained that if the shop I worked at was out of stock of one, then sell the other to the customer as long as you can give them the instruction that were on the other label,
With down you have to be able to dry it correctly as it could affect the loft if not done properly,
Which I guess you know about?

Hope this helps, if you don't know the instruction for down cleaner I'm sure you will find it on the grangers website
 StaffsAndy 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Boulderdash86: I asked Grangers the same question a couple of years ago, their reply is below.

In response to your query.

Grangers 30oC Cleaner is a universal cleaner suitable for the vast majority of garments including down. The down cleaning product is a similar formulation however it contains an anti microbial additive that gradually builds in the fabric helping with odours.

I hope this answers your query, however if you require any further information please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Best Regards

----------- | Laboratory & Quality Manager | Granger’s International | Tel: +44 (0) 1773 521521 |
Fax: +44 (0) 1773 5212622 | www.grangers.co.uk
Registered in England 327936, Registered Office: Grange Close, Clover Nook Industrial Park, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 4QT
 Up High 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Adam Hughes:
When I washed my down bag I used Nikwax Tech wash as I had no Nikwax down wash.
I went into the store to ask as usual assistant didn't know, so I phoned Nik wax very helpful, they said the products are very similar, the down wash was slightly kinder to the down but I could use the Tech wash but just dilute it, Fantastic result.

My bag was definitely warmer and had better loft after treatment.

Some tips are:
1.Its not as complicated as everyone makes out (don't be scared)

2.Getting the bag wetted is the most difficult part- which makes me very sceptical of these claims about down getting wet and not working!

3.Once its wetted be very careful as the down becomes very heavy damage to internal baffles is the biggest risk.

4.Do wash and rinse it thoroughly.

5. You will need a big bath.

6. Don't do it when your wife has just cleaned the bathroom, you wont believe the grim that comes out.

7.Squeeze all water out carefully and handle the bag gently.

8.Fine to spin dry it, gets rid of water, improves drying time reduces risk of baffle damage.

9.Take it down the laundrette and tumble dry.

10. A laundrette is better than your home machine as you can use the big drummed driers gives bag more room to loft.

11. Very important to watch the heat settings as you can melt the nylon bag outer, keep checking it to get temp right.

12. I dutifully bought tennis balls and popped them in to stop down clumping, the lady looked bemused and said if you've tumbled it there isn't any need, she was right.

It is a lot easier to wash down products than folk realise, and the results are worth the effort, I snow holed in Scotland a week later when it was about minus 18 and was snug and warm.
 Siward 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Up High:
> - which makes me very sceptical of these claims about down getting wet and not working!
>
>
Oh they're true- its the insidious slow effects of damp air/tents that make it happen and a damp bag ain't a warm bag.
 martinph78 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Up High: Thanks for this. I noticed my down jacket and sleeping bag are colder than they used to be and suspect they need cleaning, but I've been nervous of doing it.

Will try my jacket first as that will be cheaper to replace if it goes wrong.

I'll need to use the laundrette washing machine also, as my bag won't fit in my home machine.
 Up High 21 Oct 2013

> Oh they're true- its the insidious slow effects of damp air/tents that make it happen and a damp bag ain't a warm bag.

I hear these comments but have never seen them in reality.
The bag outer will protect well against damp, your body heat helps dry the bag, and the air trapped in between the down filaments again prevents moisture ingress.
Its important to store the bag properly and ensure you sleep on a mat as one thing that will be a problem is laying in water.
A damp bag will still hold its thermal properties a wet one wont, and getting a down bag that wet is bad luck or inexperience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...