UKC

one man tent on a budget

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thesecretpoliceman 04 Oct 2013
I'm after a one man tent on a budget. Go outdoors have a north ridge col 1 for £52. Which has good reviews and seems good value. Anyone have any other suggestions?
 xplorer 04 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman:

A climbing partner bought one, it lasted a night!

Literally fell apart
 JdotP 04 Oct 2013

I suggest a visit to Argos! We took one of their "Proaction" tents to the Tien Shan and it held up fine.
 Sharp 04 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman: Gelert solo, they've gone up a lot since I bought mine but they're ok for the price (mines about 5 years old and seen some pretty bad nights!)
 climb the peak 04 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman: I got a great wild country zepheros one from cotswold outdoors for £80 using the 20% BMC discount
 andy_e 04 Oct 2013
Karrimor Xlite 1 is half decent for the price (although it seems they don't do them any more, perhaps you'll need a bit of luck with searching)

If you can find one though, I picked mine up as an end of line thing from sports direct for about £40. Aluminium poles, pitch outer first (inner can be pre-attached). Reasonable space inside, and enough space in the porch for boots and rucksack, or can be cooked under in the rain if you have a walking pole spare.

Once swapped with aluminium and titanium pegs, about 1.6kg.
 Skyhook 05 Oct 2013

Yes, the Gelert Solo.

I bought one a while back when they cost around 24 quid. I thought it would last a week. In fact, I hoped it would last only a week.

I've used it on a walking trip in the Alps and it's withstood high winds in the Brecon Beacons without problem.

Unfortunately, it's showing few signs of wear.
thesecretpoliceman 05 Oct 2013
In reply to xplorer: b*****s! I was hoping someone was gonna say it was a good buy. Thanks for the gen though.
In reply to Skyhook: interesting, will give it a look, thanks.
In reply to talon_guy: will give that a look ad well. Cheers
 Nick_Scots 05 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman: karimor tents are on sale just now on sportsdirect -they own the brand - some good ones.
 IPPurewater 05 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman: Have a look at the Alpkit clearance items. Their Delta tent is £60. They explain why.

Mine simply has a saggy inner, otherwise it is fine. Three season only though.

Ian
In reply to Scott_vzr: cheers for that I've had a look and the xlite x1 looks very good value at £36!!!!!!

neilus 05 Oct 2013
Very happy with my Coleman Cobra 2, 2.05kg so not super dooper light but just about qualifies as a backpacking tent ihmo, you should be able to get one for 70 quid. Packs down really well. Tons of room inside and lots of nice pockets on inner sheet which if your "tent management" skills are anything like mine, are an absolute godsend!
 andy_e 05 Oct 2013

That is a somewhat tweaked version of the one I have, but as you say, it's worth a shot at £36!
 martinph78 06 Oct 2013
In reply to thesecretpoliceman: I've not tried it but might be worth a look:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-soul-100-71110055?id_colour=3599
almost sane 07 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Scott_vzr) cheers for that I've had a look and the xlite x1 looks very good value at £36!!!!!!

Even though it has no guys, the xlite x1 is very stable in strong winds.
Of course, at that price there are problems - there are lighter tents, there is a wear point where the fly meets the pole junction, with the door open rain can drip onto the door.
That said, it is roomy enough to sit up in to get dressed, the door can be either solid fabric or all mesh or anywhere in between (to allow for ventilation or to keep out spindrift/sand). There is lots of spare room by your head for storing stuff inside the tent. And I like the side opening for usability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...