UKC

Glasgow Climbing Shop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelloggs77 05 Oct 2013
Can anyone advise if there is a decent climbing or outdoor gear shop in or near central Glasgow? Need to grab a pair of womens rock shoes, however the big outlets have little to offer?
 NorthernGrit 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Tiso
 daftdazza 05 Oct 2013
i would avoid Tiso, try either the TCA or Glasgow climbing centre, or Cotswolds.
OP Kelloggs77 05 Oct 2013
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Thanks, tried them however they have little womens stock.
 elsewhere 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:
Tiso on Buchanan St & Nevisport on Sauchiehall St.

Otherwise Glasgow Climbing Centre. Underground to Ibrox closest but if you don't know the way get off at Cessnock & walk west along the main road.
 Hay 05 Oct 2013
In reply to daftdazza:
> i would avoid Tiso

Why..?
 Fraser 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:
>
> Why..?

Haven't you heard about their staff?!

<joking!> I must admit, I've always found them very good and have bought loads from them over the years.

mgco3 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Decathlon, at the Fort Shopping Center . It is a little way out of Glasgow Centre but 10 minutes in a Car or Bus. G34 9JJ

Usually have Quechua ( may be pronounced Keek , Scottish term) in all sizes. Bit cheep and nasty but better than bare feet.
andymac 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Is that the Tiso up by the BMW garage?

Much more stock up there than on Buchanan St.

Sure I walked through a climbing section
In reply to Kelloggs77: Cotswold in Partick, and you can use one of their 20% discount codes
 barbeg 05 Oct 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

....so this is where you get all the gear you flog!! Lol !
ANdy
 Hay 05 Oct 2013
In reply to andymac:
Buchanan Street hold very little climbing stuff. Coupar Street store well supplied ... will have Verde, ladies Vapor v, vapor in smaller sizes as well as les techy options like Thunder, Joker etc. If you are climbing club or wall member you'll get 10% off.
Bruce
 dan_the_dingo 05 Oct 2013
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to Kelloggs77)
>
> Is that the Tiso up by the BMW garage?
>

But more importantly, it's next to the Skoda garage

girlymonkey 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: go outdoors in Clydebank seems to stock a fair amount of climbing kit
 Nick_Scots 06 Oct 2013
There is women specific kit in Tiso RATHO. Some on sale too.
andymac 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:

You sound like you work there.

I'm in fairly often.find the staff very friendly.

The guy in the running department (ex athlete from Inverness) is always very helpful.

There used to be a Canadian girl in the shop too. #verynice.

Go in the the Buch St . Shop every time I'm down ,as I know the manager , Calum.
 zebidee 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: Tiso have the market in Scotland sewn up, rather sadly.

It's nice when you make it up to The Ice Factor in Kinlochleven as they carry different brands to Tiso and so you get a better selection with more companies in the market.

That said, Tiso have different focus within their different stores. For climbing gear you want to head through to Ratho, as a second choice this Great Outdoors and Perth (although that's a bit out of the way) stores are next best.
 james1978 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr:
> There is women specific kit in Tiso RATHO. Some on sale too.

Was in the Ratho branch yesterday and noticed that they have some ladies Scarpa's (don't recall the model sorry) for about 45 or 50 quid.
 Sharp 06 Oct 2013
In reply to zebidee:
>For climbing gear you want to head through to Ratho, as a second choice this Great Outdoors and Perth (although that's a bit out of the way) stores are next best.

Only in Scotland would someone in a city the size of Glasgow be recommended a 120 mile round trip to get some climbing shoes and describe it as "a bit out of the way"!
 Hay 06 Oct 2013
In reply to zebidee:
> (In reply to Kelloggs77) Tiso have the market in Scotland sewn up, rather sadly.
>
I work for Tiso but won't get all horribly defensive ... why do you say think that?
All the other multis have the same access to the same suppliers, so do the single-unit independents. Most just deceide to run a smaller range of proven winners and lower risk lines; Thunders, Jokers, Mad Rock etc.

It would be unfeasible for Tiso to run it's Ratho range over all the shops as there would be 25-30 lines with at least 12 units per line but we do try to get a decent range into shops with active local climbing communitites.
We also try really hard with the Ratho range in terms of new 'high risk' performance shoes ... down-toe shoes make up half the range out there.

Am genuinely interested to hear how we could do that better.

Bruce
T_Mac 06 Oct 2013
In reply to james1978:
Scarpa Helix, £40. I got a pair of 42's for a comfy, all day shoe. Not overly keen on the purple but heyho, a bargains a bargain!
 daftdazza 06 Oct 2013
no offence Bruce,

but I have just found Tiso climbing stock really poor in the past, which is a shame as the shop is massive, from personnel experience I have found Cotswold have better stock and offer more of a discount for MCOFS members, I looked at both Tiso Glasgow stores for some winter boots, but found very little to choose from so will wait until I get to Fort William or Aviemore.

Daryl
 Hay 06 Oct 2013
In reply to daftdazza:
None taken Daryl....thanks for responding. It is great to get feedback. Climbing depts and stock are actually pretty hard to get right all the time so we need folks to tell us when we're off beam.

The climbing stock in Buchanan Street will not be massive as we tend to have more equipment in Coupar Street, same for boots. Buchanan Street does have great clothing though ... incl Patagonia this year.

We have a massive stock of mountaineering boots both in and en route for this year (Scarpa, Dolomite, Sportiva) which I am pretty psyched about.

Bruce

Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:

> Am genuinely interested to hear how we could do that better.

I was in the Edinburgh (Rose Street) shop a while back, wanting to buy rock boots - but you don't stock 1/2 sizes. For something that needs to fit just right, that's no good.

I realise that there are stock issues, but I would prefer a smaller range of models held in a full range of sizes, rather than the other way around.

Garbhanach 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons: I had the same problem trying to get a Scarpa moutain boot to fit me ended up messing about trying green Superfeet and other things to get a fit but the main problem is the UK supplier http://trade.mountainboot.co.uk/ who will not supply 1/2 half sizes in the uk
and are not very helpfull if you have a problem.

I would advise anyone going on holiday abroad to the likes of Chamonix to go and try all the half sizes that are avaiable abroad to see what interests them and what half sizes fit them.

As for Tiso I found the staff quite helpfull and patient but better deals may be foud elsewhere.
 Hay 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thats interesting Rob. Youd rather have fewer lines but half sizes...?
I think i agree if you mean half UK sizes but half euro, even in winter boots, is not really manageable. It is only 4mm ...

B.

Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:

Me, yes I would. (And yes, I am talking about UK sizes. A 1/2 size there makes a big difference.)
 Hay 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:
I would really just prefer all manufacturers to use euro sizing. And work to something like the same scale...
 Rob Parsons 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:

Sure, I agree that'd help.
 zebidee 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Hay:
> (In reply to zebidee)
> [...]
> I work for Tiso but won't get all horribly defensive ... why do you say think that?

I think it's disappointing when any market gets dominated by a single organisation - whether it's Tesco, Dobbies, or Tiso who are dominant in Scotland in the supermarket, garden centre & outdoor shopping markets respectively.

It removes the opportunity for variation of suppliers to a market. This was obvious in the bike market back in the 90's when a particular distributor thought that they could dictate their terms to retailers because they were the dominant force.

For example - in the climbing equipment market you stock nuts & wires by DMM and Wild Country. You don't carry nuts/wires by other manufacturers (e.g. Black Diamond, Metolius) - why not? Supply and demand - probably. Distributor clauses in contracts - less likely but still possible.

Some of my favourite kit are my Camp Tri-Cams and BD Hexes on a Wire:

http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/camp_tri_cam_set_of_4
http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/black_diamond_hexcentric_set

Both of which were bought elsewhere (Cotswolds - I think - and an outdoor shop on Broadway in NYC).

I'm just using nuts & wires as an example case here to demonstrate what can be less than perfect for a consumer.

It's fair that you can't carry every manufacturer and I wouldn't expect any store to do so ... but ... if you've got the market sewn up to the point that you're the only player in town then that's ultimately bad for the edge case consumers.

Another case in point, I have particular shaped feet (wide at the front, very narrow heels) and wanted a new pair of winter boots so I spent the day going between Ellis Brigham at Braehead, Cotswolds & then Tiso trying different brands to find which ones fitted me best. Which ended up being a pair of Asolo Sherpa GV's from Tiso.

So fortunately in *this case* I was able to do that ... but guess what - you don't appear to stock any Asolo boots any more:

http://outdoor.tiso.com/search?w=asolo&asug=

> All the other multis have the same access to the same suppliers, so do the single-unit independents. Most just deceide to run a smaller range of proven winners and lower risk lines; Thunders, Jokers, Mad Rock etc.

> It would be unfeasible for Tiso to run it's Ratho range over all the shops as there would be 25-30 lines with at least 12 units per line but we do try to get a decent range into shops with active local climbing communitites.

I think that what you do with your stores targeting the appropriate local demographic is very sensible. The Ratho store carries by far the most variety in kit out of all of your shops. There would be no point in stocking that kind of kit in all your stores.

> We also try really hard with the Ratho range in terms of new 'high risk' performance shoes ... down-toe shoes make up half the range out there.
>
> Am genuinely interested to hear how we could do that better.

Hope this helps explain what I meant.

Dave.
 Hay 07 Oct 2013
In reply to zebidee:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to resond.
Interesting points for sure and I will take them forward to the buying team.

In the meantime please be assured that there are no contract clauses limiting stock selection. To be honest the market selects it ... If lines don't sell well/enough/at all then it is a hard call to keep running them. Hexes on wire fell to that one but I'd love to see Tricams back, even if only in Ratho/Online.

In terms of boots, I believe Asolo are coming back to Tiso. I'd also urge you to try Dolomite when they come in ... another classic Italian fit.

In terms of deals etc (mentioned above), Tiso will do 10% off to MCofS affiliates and will price match climbing hardware.

Bruce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...