UKC

Easter Trip to Somewhere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 07 Oct 2013
Hi!

Trying to pry into the collective knowledge of UKC members here. I have a group from a uni climbing club looking to go abroad for our yearly big trip. We have already done the fun in the sun type places (Majorca, Costa Blanca) and are looking for something a little more out of the way, perhaps further towards eastern Europe? I've heard of places in Bulgaria for bouldering and the sandstone towers in Czech (I think) and various other places, but was hoping for some recommendations that would suit a range of climbing ability, and could preferably be done on a reasonable budget.

Cheers, Colin
 Owen W-G 07 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern:

Paklenica in Croatia. Was cheap when I went (10ys ago) not sure about now.
Good variety of styles from single pitch to BIG walls across all grades.
OP ColinVern 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Owen W-G: Thanks, had a quick look and seems to be the sort of thing we want!
 tlm 07 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern:

I would agree with paklenica. Cheap, easy to get to, with a wide range of different climbing and walking all in one place. Loads of cheap accommodation, including camping, the sea to swim in (but no beach). There are bolted routes, single pitch, multipitch with very minimal bolting and marked trails through the park.

If you are going in April, do be careful to avoid the speed climbing competition, which would mean that most of the bolted routes in the Clanci area would be unavailable for you to climb.
 tlm 07 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern:

Another idea is Sardinia?

or how about Font (but that is only bouldering)

or there is plenty of stuff in the South of France. I really like Les Alpilles, but there is also the Ardeche.

or Freya in Belgium? all that lovely beer!
OP ColinVern 08 Oct 2013
Thanks for the tips, finding some great places now!
 Chris Shorter 29 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern:

The wonderful Czech sandstone areas would suit your budget requirement but wouldn't in other respects. Easter is a bit early and you can expect snow on the ground in many years. Also, probably not a good idea for a mixed ability/experience angle; remember metal protection is banned (nuts, cams etc) and you are limited to knotted slings and the very occasional massive bolt - the less experienced will frankly be crapping themselves!

Chris
 rpc 29 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern:
Never been but Crimea looks interesting (do report back if you go)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...