UKC

Walking venue between Guildford and Warrington?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigHairyIan 08 Oct 2013
I am looking to meet up with an old friend somewhere "equidistant" between Guildford (his home town) and Warrington (mine).

Whenever I go walking it is sort of Lakes, Wales and Peak District bound!

Can anyone recommend somewhere convenient, possibly with a good pub (with food and B & B)?

Thanks
 Mark Bull 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan:

Malverns?
OP BigHairyIan 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: That was the only place that came to mind.
 toad 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: Shropshire Hills? base yourself Much Wenlock/ Ludlow/ Church Stretton - like the Peak District in many ways some good walks over the Long Mynd or Stiperstones. Not sure about which do accommodation, but there are no shortage of pubs.
 CurlyStevo 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan:
Brecon Beacons could be a good shout depending what you are after, but its a lot more mountainous than the Peak and good for walking, I particularly like the Pen Y Fan area.
OP BigHairyIan 08 Oct 2013
Thanks guys...
Tim Chappell 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan:

If walking doesn't have to equal hills, then consider the N Norfolk coast. Or along a canal, such as the Grand Union in Leicestershire, which outside the towns is very pretty and very peaceful.

The Chilterns and the Cotswolds are good too, in a very gentle way. Above Marlow is good in the Chilterns. There are some fine riverside walks in the Cotswolds. The Thames has a lot of good walks alongside it in Berkshire and Oxfordshire.

There's also Uffington and the Vale of White Horse.

A lot of these places are even better on a bike...
 Banned User 77 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: Aye.. I'd say Brecon Beacons.. nice area, more mountainous than the peak for me.
 toad 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to BigHairyIan)
>
Or along a canal, such as the Grand Union in Leicestershire, which outside the towns is very pretty and very peaceful.

It's really interesting round Foxton Locks and there are a couple of nice round walks (& pubs!) the GU canal through Leicester is considered "Bandit Country" by a lot of boaters - don't stop, don't stay overnight, keep a mooring pin to hand to repel boarders... Not something I recognise and I lived there!
>
> The Chilterns and the Cotswolds are good too, in a very gentle way. Above Marlow is good in the Chilterns.

>
I like the Wiltshire downs - there's something about the big skies you see from the top of the ridges, and in the right season the wheat and barley blowing in the wind - and then there are the crop circles....
 Mike Peacock 08 Oct 2013
In reply to toad: I'd opt for the Wiltshire Downs over the Chilterns. The Chilterns have their moments (Ivinghoe Beacon, Coombe Hill), but the downs seem much better for continuous ridges and long walks with good views.

As for south Wales, also consider other ranges as well as the Brecon Beacons. The Black Mountains are great, and much quieter. As others have said, Shropshire is worth a visit, and I'll add a mention for Caer Caradoc which is a fine little hill.
 David Ponting 08 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: Personal bias forces me to strongly recommend the Malverns, having grown up there, but there's probably more variety in either Shropshire or the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains areas...

Assuming you're both ending up on the M5, why not set off early and meet up in Malvern, spend the day there, and then head west to the Brecons for the rest of your trip? (either via Ross (M50), Hereford (A438), or Leominster (A44))
altirando 08 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan: When I go down to stay with my daughter who lives in the Cotswolds near Oxford I go via Kidderminster and Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock. Just right for Shropshire - I recommend the full distance along Wenlock Edge. Should be good now with the leaves turning.
 whispering nic 09 Oct 2013
In reply to altirando:
Another vote for Wenlock Edge...
 Fat Bumbly2 09 Oct 2013
In reply to whispering nic: Brown Clee is good for autumn colours and you get a bit of moorland on top.
 Postmanpat 11 Oct 2013
In reply to BigHairyIan:

Wiltshire Downs are lovely and empty. Walks along the Ridgeway, Wansdyke etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...