UKC

Scrambles between Deeside and Aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alexgoodey 10 Oct 2013
Planning a mountain trip in the spring and think this is roughly the route I want to walk, in a rough oval starting at Deeside heading north then north-west, getting to Aviemore or Glenmore after 2-3 days and then heading back south, then south-east to Deeside. Any advice on when to walk without snow/ice, I'd like to go early as possible next year. Is March still too cold?

I've got the map but sparse paths make me think that some of the ridges might be a little tricky, so any scrambling (grade 1-ish) route suggestions would be gratefully received as I've not walked in Scotland before.
Fidman 10 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey: Alex, you need to be a bit more specific about where in Deeside. Deeside runs from Aberdeen all the way to Braemar.

The area you are going through includes Caringorms, Glenshee and Lochnagar, these were/are all hunting estates so there are paths everywhere. You can walk this route on very good paths all the way. I am not sure about the scrambling routes, there are plenty areas for scrambling but you can avoid these if you want. Cairngorms keep the snow quite late. Hoep this helps.
In reply to alexgoodey: Very limited good scrambling in the Cairngorms. You have to go out of your way to find it. The only notable bits that you could realistically incorporate into that sort of route - or the ones that spring to my mind anyway - are: NE of Ridge Sgor an Lochain Uaine; Fiacaill ridge (between Coire an t-Sneachda and Coire an Lochan) and Avon Slabs (at the head of Loch Avon leading up onto the Macdui plateau). You could feasibly do the first of these from the Lairig Ghru and then loop around Braeriach to descend to Glen more. Then next day, back up Fiacaill Ridge, down into Loch Avon basin, up the slabs onto Macdui and head back south for Deeside...

Weather is anyone's guess but March is usually a good bet for full winter conditions in the Cairngorms, which would make this trip a very different undertaking (though no less great).
 Doug 10 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey: March is often the best ski touring of the year, but its possible there will be very little snow (its Scotland not the Alps).

Most of the ridges are not particularly rocky, you don't say which map you have, but I suspect your just looking at the legal rights of way rather than all the paths, plus for most of the terrain, you can wander almost everywhere (cliffs & lakes excepted). In fact, if you want scambling you'll probably have to plan your route to make sure you find it, obvious scambles to include would be NE Ridge of Angels peak (Sgor an Lochain Uaine) & the Fiacaill Coire an t-Sneachda
 tony 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
>
> Weather is anyone's guess but March is usually a good bet for full winter conditions in the Cairngorms, which would make this trip a very different undertaking (though no less great).

And would change summer scrambles such as the Fiacaill Ridge into fairly full-on climbs, and not to be ventured onto without a good degree of confidence and suitable winter experience.
 Only a hill 10 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey:
In addition to the routes already mentioned, the East Ridge of Cairn Toul is worth a look:

http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/cairn-toul-straight-up/

More pictures here from my trip in June:

http://www.alexroddie.com/2013/06/Cairn-Toul-and-Braeriach-in-June.html

It's a straightforward scrambly ridge but quite enjoyable, Grade 1 if you stick to the crest.

Worth mentioning that in March it will probably a Grade I winter climb requiring ice axe and crampons.
 malky_c 10 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey: The Stuic on Lochnagar is in a great location. A little on the easy side to be called a scramble, but it might provide some winter entertainment. I'd happily do it again just for the different perspective you get on these hills.
alexgoodey 10 Oct 2013
Hi all, thanks for your input - the weather and conditions underfoot hadn't really sunk in - year-round snow in some parts and still masses even in June?!

Maybe I'll push it later in the year. Obviously there was a lot of snow this year and I was in deep snow in Snowdonia in mid-April, but winter is not what I'm after, as I'm still working towards ML(s). I don't want to start doing winter stuff just yet as I need to consoldate my Summer experience if I'm going for assessment next autumn.

As for paths being marked, yup, I know the access rules and rights of way, etc, so really looking for trails and tracks I can follow should I start having problems, as the whole area is rather bleak looking. But fun too

kwoods 10 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey: There was still a fair amount of snow mid-June on the tops, although granted this year was abnormal. http://kevin-woods.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/day-40-central-cairngorms.html
I should also point out that going bothy to bothy in the Cairngorms would be time well spent, it'll also give a great sense of the culture of the place which is so important, that range more than most.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...