UKC

Disappearing Strava segments?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wee Davie 11 Oct 2013
Did a 40km loop today that I've done a number of times in the last few months. Checking the Strava segments I noticed that a few segments that appeared in the data for the previous ride don't appear in this one.
How does this happen? Does it mean that the original creator of a segment has deleted it or something?
In reply to Wee Davie:

They can get reported to Strava for being dangerous and they'll be removed.

Also it depends on your GPS device - I've been out with a group and some manage to record a segment and others don't, a bit random really. Tree cover can affect things.

ALC
OP Wee Davie 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Thanks for that- one of them definitely was a dangerous segment so that would explain it.
It was a downhill then 90 degrees through a roundabout.

The other two were straight forward descents that I can't see the problem with. Ah well...
 alan wilson 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: I have noticed that if your gps position is a bit off then it wont recognize you are on that segment, not sure what the +/- is though. Zoom in close and see if your recorded route is actually within the road etc.
 Chris the Tall 12 Oct 2013
In reply to alan wilson:
I suspect that the tolerance/variance from track is proportional to the length of the route.

You quite often find it has skipped short sections

Also I did a ride recently where it told me I was 2nd on a segment. Whoopee I thought, I wasn't even trying. Except it turns out to be 2nd of 2, on a segment that I must have ridden 20 times in the last year.

More to the point it didn't give me a time for the longer segment that I use as indication of how well I'm going.
 Escher 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: quite often segments don't match up with your ride. If you raise a support ticket with Strava, linking the ride and segment they'll try and fix it for you. Look for the support links on the main Strava page.
 nniff 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

Around here they're trying, I believe, to rationalise the number of segments. There's been a bit of a problem with people trying to be KOM on Box Hill and the numerous climbs up Leith Hill and Ranmore Common.

Lots of 1st fencepost/2nd fencepost/gap in the hedge after the junction, etc to the next obscure marker that isn't quite the standard - but the KOM times are very different
OP Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to nniff:

Yeah must be a problem with the really iconic hillclimbs. It's quite a competitive world on these hills eh? Sometimes I wonder what the landmarks and markers are myself.

I'm nowhere near the top ten for any of my local ascent segments so they can axe any of them they like, but I'd be gutted if they did away with the twisty bit of the long Hailey Brae descent- I was 14th last time I checked! ; )
 Radioactiveman 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie:

I have deleted an segment after people riding an adjacent road took the KOM from an offroad climb

I also had one deleted on me after smashing some guys KOM

OP Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:

Haha! Doesn't surprise me...
I'd be irritated if I had managed to get a KOM and that happened. Wonder if Strava could incorporate a system where popular segments can't get easily deleted if the originator takes the huff like that?
In reply to Wee Davie: If a segment gets deleted is there anything to prevent you re-creating a similar or identical one?
OP Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to harold walmsley:

Dunno.
 aquazepp 13 Oct 2013
In reply to harold walmsley:
I've recreated a segment when it was flagged after I got a kom on the descent.... it still exists now, I suspect the previous kom had created the segment and got the hump at losing it.
OP Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to aquazepp:

Nice one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...