UKC

Euro climbing/ski season location advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chmacy 14 Oct 2013
Hiya,
I’ll be in between jobs for the first 6 months of 2014 and I’d appreciate some advice on the best location to base myself.
I’m a good skier/skitourer, however I would like to spend time improving my ice/mixed climbing. My current partners will remain weekend warriors, so a location in which it is easy to find partners is a priority.
My first preference is Chamonix – but fear that I will quickly tire of ski resort life - I’m on the mature side for this forum, 44.
An alternative is not to rent a place but move around regions depending on conditions. I’ve been based near Zurich for over 10 years and like the Swiss alps but I know I will struggle to find climbing partners nearby.
Any advice/recommendations from those that have had a similar experience?
Any others in a similar situation?

Thanks
craigloon 14 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy:

Lucky you! A pal and I are going to Chamonix for a couple of months skiing and touring, but 6 months would be amazing.

Not sure your fear of ski resort life is justified. Its not compulsory! And Chamonix is a proper large town, not just a resort. (I'm 58 and not a natural partying type BTW.) Cham seems perfectly placed for ranging wider: Through the tunnel to Courmayeur and the Aosta valley, and over the pass to Martigny and the Valais.

Have fun!
chmacy 15 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy:
Yes, thanks for the encouragement! I know Chamonix and environs pretty well. Usually I visit only for long weekends and always with a group, so I've never hung around long enough to find out how easy it is to find climbing partners. I'm checking out Chamsocial and Leboncoin for flats, but any guidance on finding partners most welcome.
Thanks
 walts4 16 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy: http://www.cham74.com/ always worth a try or the OHM office in the book.
 JuneBob 16 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy:
You could stay in a valley town, like Martigny - easy access to a whole bunch of places, and Verbier is arguably better than Chamonix for ski-touring, and even more so when you factor in all the other resorts around Martigny.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy: What about basing in Briancon. More of a functioning town than just a ski resort. You can access Serre Che, Montgenevre, PSV, La Grave for skiing and ice. In spring you would get on loads of valley crags. Access from Turin airport is not bad.
altirando 16 Oct 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu: Better weather too!
In reply to chmacy: If you're on facebook there's a decent group for finding people to hook up with in Chamonix: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chamonix.skibums/?fref=ts
chmacy 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Fultonius:
Thanks, facebook, I should have thought of that, thats useful!
Junebob & earlsdonwhu: Thanks for the alternative location brainstorming, but I have my doubts that I'll find it easier to find climbing partners in Martigny or Briancon or am I missing something?
 JuneBob 16 Oct 2013
In reply to chmacy:
Well, Martigny does have this climbing wall nearby, which is always a good starting point:
http://www.vertic-halle.ch/en/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...