UKC

CXer that'll double as a tourer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby S 21 Oct 2013
I'm thinking of getting a new bike that I can use for the commute to work via fire trails and the odd bit of muddy single track and with the option of a spot of touring.

I'm taking a very close look at the Boardman CX Team http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

I'm very tempted to get a dedicated tourer but quite like the idea of being able to take the longer route to work via the woods and down some forestry trails.

Any suggestions?

TobyA 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S: I've got last years CX Comp - it's interesting they've changed that model a bit for this year, but this years team looks very much like the frame that was on all the models last year including mine. I've found that very good, some of the components haven't been so good though.

I've put mud guards on mine easily but not tried a rack yet. I have toured on it though bikepacking style.
http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/09/bikepacking-new-bags-new-camer...
http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/06/the-oaks-of-sweden-finland-bik...

I've got a light rack for the back to try so I can take a bigger dry bag there so I can carry a bit more stuff for colder weather camping trips.
OP Toby S 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. I'm going to pop along to the local Halfords later to have a closer look, if they're anything like my Boardman roadie then they should be more than capable of the job. Nice to see what you've done with it too, that's very helpful.

TobyA 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S: Have also raced on it! https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117846882761468042204/albums/59265086017... Was rubbish, but that's 90% me, only 10% the bike - could do with better quality gears.
 jon_bee 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:
If you fancy something more towards the toury end of the spectrum then Genesis would be worth looking at. Steel framed and with a full range of rack and bits braze-ons. Would probably be a bit more comfy over a long distance than the Boardman. The CdF is a similar price I think
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/multi-sport/cdf
OP Toby S 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

The expression on your face speaks volumes!

There's a Cyclocross event being held a couple of miles away from my house and I'm tempted to have a go. It's part of the reason I was looking at the Boardman, although apparently I could use my mountain bike, but n+1 and all that!
 TobyA 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jon_bee: I don't know but don't most people think carbon forks are more comfy than steel?
 TobyA 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S: It was actually quite scary - slick muddy rock - so couldn't brake much, down into a wee ditch before you pulled out onto a proper track, of course that's where the photographer picked to try and get some carnage!
 Chris the Tall 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:
Just done 160 mile tour of Yorkshire Dales over 3 days on a hardtail 29er MTB (Trek X-Caliber) - the only modifications being CX (32mm) tyres and a pannier rack.

With normal MTB tyres you can go anywhere, but even with the CX tyres I was quite happy on some rough stuff and they are perfect for forestry trails. I also found the more upright position felt better for a long day out than the drops, and the low gears really helped when riding a loaded bike up steep hills - I was the first in group to the Tan Hill Inn !
 Timmd 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Could be work looking at the 2013 Charge Filter Hi and Apex on at the moment?

The Apex is the CX model with Sram Apex gears and knobbly tyres, and the Hi has lesser Shimano gears and smooth tyres and mudguards, but they're the same frame.

Or there's the Charge Plug 3 for sale for 860-ish next year, same frame but different name and parts/model range.

There's quite a few Filter reviews on the internet.

I don't happen to work for Charge. ()

Nevis-the-cat 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

I've just ordered a Giant TXC SLR2 - full 105, Spyre disc brakes and it is set up for guards and racks.

Timmd 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to jon_bee) I don't know but don't most people think carbon forks are more comfy than steel?

It can depend on the head tube angle, and the rake and steel of the fork, I think.
 Dauphin 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Similar thread a couple of months ago. Was introduced to the Salsa Bicycle company through it. Getting a 2013 Fargo 2 at the end of the week. N+1 and all that.

D
 jon_bee 21 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Generally a skinny steel fork like on the Croix de Fer will soak up more vibration that a wide bladed carbon fork, but it's not a black and white issue. You can certainly get comfy carbon forks and harsh steel forks, I've had all the permutations

But it's not so much the fork that will make it more comfy as the frame - the thin walled, large diameter alu on the Boardman with gernerally make a stiff and responsive frame, but it might also be a bit harsh on the bum (especially on a long day out). The Genesis is likely to soak up a lot more between wheels and arse, but it's likely to not feel as stiff and responsive as the Boardman (and it's almost certainly a bit heavier).

Just remember with either type of fork and disks not to look down when you're braking - you can get an alarming amount of rearward flex when you combine disks and slender forks, particularly on tarmac. Not something to worry about, but disconcerting when you see it nonetheless!
OP Toby S 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

That looks the dogs, are you sure it has mounts for a rack though? From the pics online it doesn't look like it.
 gear boy 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S: hidden rack mounts are quite common now

not what I call hidden, just on the inside of the frame
In reply to Toby S:

My wife has one of these: http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/crosslight/five-t

Takes a rack with no problem - we toured on the west coast of Scotland earlier this year. Handles pretty well.

I quite like the look of the Genesis Croix de Fer and CdF.

ALC
softlad 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S: I've got a Salsa Vaya which is lovely.

The Vaya's very similar to the Croix de Fer, in that it's steel, disc-braked and set up for mudguards and racks. These practical, jack-of-all-trades / non-racey road bikes are quite the thing, it seems, and most of the manufacturers are putting one in their line.
For touring I'd take steel over aluminium, but of course not all frames are created equally, and hence you can't beat a test ride.
Oh, and the Kona Rove is also getting some good reviews.
 BigBrother 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

> I'm very tempted to get a dedicated tourer but quite like the idea of being able to take the longer route to work via the woods and down some forestry trails.
>
> Any suggestions?

A tourer will probably be just as good offroad as a cx. It might be a bit heavier frame to cope with bigger loads, slightly more slack angles, more luggage points, longer chainstays etc but none of that will make much difference for the use you describe.

Of course if you were wanting something for serious competitive cx use it would be different and a cx bike might be perfectly adequate for your touring use but don't discount a touring bike because you want to cycle along a trail.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...