UKC

Outdoor Equipment Storage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Oct 2013
Just doing some research into how people currently store their equipment for outdoor activities.
I know this could include a vast range of equipment in various shapes and sizes(i.e. tents, ice axes to compass, boots).
In general-

Where do you store it at home?
i.e. - bag, plastic box, cupboard etc.

How much space does it take up?
Do you split it into different types of equipment?

Many Thanks
 Wingnut 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom:
Same place I store everything else - in a pile on the floor.
 Wingnut 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Wingnut:
Well, with the exception of the kayak, which lives in a pile of its own in the garage due to being too big to fit in the flat.
 BnB 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Wingnut:
> (In reply to Whizzdom)
> Same place I store everything else - in a pile on the floor.

Just the one (floor)?

I manage to pretty much carpet three rooms with outdoor equipment and clothing. The actual inventory simply evolves through the seasons.
 mrdigitaljedi 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom: Spare bedroom. Full of gear, climbing ropes,racks/tents/bikes and clothing.
 martinph78 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom: All over. Mostly in various bags stuffed in cupboards and under the bed, with a box for cooking stuff.
 Jon Wickham 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom: Here's how Conrad Anker stores his: youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tdhnPNdR8&
 Choss 22 Oct 2013

Walking and camping kit in piles on floor.

Climbing kit hung on hooks on back of a door to let air Circulate.
Removed User 22 Oct 2013
My problem is that I moved to uni recently and now have much less room to keep kit in. Ended up leaving camping stuff at home and have just bought a bag of climbing gear plus boots and waterproofs.

sleavesley 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom: boxes under the stairs in the dark. Ropes etc in rope bags and then said boxes. Cams hanging up under the stairs in the same cupboard.
Small bits of kit in a boot bag in bedroom. Outdoor clothes hung in wardrobe or in chest of drawers.
Down I either hung or in storage bags that don't compress it.
Ice axe under the bed (actually hung up under the stairs).
My Other half hates that I store so much stuff there, also have some of the kids stuff there too so it doesn't look like its all my stuff!
 gethin_allen 22 Oct 2013
I have massive built in cupboards across an entire wall in the spare room so that is where the gear lives. Everything from ropes to sleeping bags and tents. All the sleeping bags are packed in loose bags or pillow cases the tents are packed, the ropes and climbing gear is packed into big plastic tubs and clothing all hung up.
It takes a lot of room (4x2.7 m²) but the financial consequences alone, of buggering it up are great enough to make sure i do it right, let alone the consequences of nackering some life saving gear.
 Mr Trebus 22 Oct 2013

Ottoman bed - it is amazing how much you can fit in it!

jwa 22 Oct 2013
I've got a space in our box room for climbing gear. Kind of like a cupboard but without a door. I installed a shelf for books plus my helmet, compass, headtorch; under the shelf are hooks with gear in old harness bags I've acquired, ropes in rope bags, my harness and small back. At the bottom of the cupboard is my big bag and under that various random bits including abseil tat. My pull up bar and axe are propped up on one side. Everything has its place but I'd like a bigger cupboard as I get into more aspects of mountaineering.
 Ridge 23 Oct 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Whizzdom)
> I have massive built in cupboards across an entire wall in the spare room so that is where the gear lives. Everything from ropes to sleeping bags and tents. All the sleeping bags are packed in loose bags or pillow cases the tents are packed, the ropes and climbing gear is packed into big plastic tubs and clothing all hung up.

Very similar here. Have a spare room next to the utility room, tiled it all out, hung a creel from the roof on fitted a load of racking across one wall. Then built a big cupboard around the racking.
 kestrelspl 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed UserWhizzdom: If you have underfloor heating don't store your sleeping bags, rollmats, down jackets etc. under the bed as it leads to a very cold room. Thinking about it it's obvious but it was very confusing at the time.
 kestrelspl 24 Oct 2013
In reply to kestrelspl: Regards the uni problem, when I was at uni everything lived at the bottom of/on top of the wardrobe.
 StuMsg 24 Oct 2013

Big plastic boxs - one for climbing gear, one for clothes, one for camping stuff etc.

Sleeping bags are on top of the wardrobe.

Snowsports stuff in a corner.
 SteveoS 24 Oct 2013
In reply to kestrelspl:
> (In reply to kestrelspl) Regards the uni problem, when I was at uni everything lived at the bottom of/on top of the wardrobe.

Same for me.

Or in a big storage bucket.
adam11 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham:

At 2:37 Conrad talks about a Krab and US Army issue peg belonging to Muggs. Would that be Muggs Stump? Anyone know what happened to him?
adam11 24 Oct 2013
In reply to adam11:
Ah, just Googled him - very sad. He was a giant of a man with an equally large heart.
 Billhook 25 Oct 2013

I'm lucky. I have an outbuilding devoted to my outdoor gear, climbing/canoeing/skiing/ etc.,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...