UKC

First day on new bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 21 Oct 2013
Got a new bike on insurance. Eventually. That was a mess in itself. After weeks of trains and wife's bike, I cycle my new bike to work. Great. Looking forward to ride home. Get to the garage and...

back wheel punctured! FIRST day out.

Back on the train home now.
 Howardw1968 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
I feel your pain
my wife got a puncture within 20 miles on her new bike earlier in the year. Having fixed it I wheeled it to the garage next day flat again, I picked up a pin in the 10m to the garage! slime lined them but 6 month later she's done the back again so new tyre for the rear!

TobyA 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: Bad luck but why not just fix it and carry on?
 sleavesley 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: buy some decent tyres. It's one of the areas bike manufacturers skimp on new bike builds (not always). Some decent tyres deals around at the moment too.
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
First day: didn't have my repair kit with me. I mean, what were the chances...

This morning, on arriving at work, I opened the large Innocent smoothie I bought yesterday with a BBD of 8 Nov. Bloody thick glup that wouldn't even pour from the cartoon! I am cursed!
 tlm 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I saw some poor guy trying to cycle to work on his new bike. They hadn't tightened up the spokes and his wheel was flipping backwards and forwards like a gymnast on steroids! I told him not to ride it (it looked pretty dangerous) and to take it back to the shop.

It was a very shiny bike.
 Mike Redmayne 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> First day: didn't have my repair kit with me. I mean, what were the chances...
>

Well, on that logic you'd never carry a puncture repair kit...

In reply to Flinticus:

Get some Kevlar lined tyres. I used to get punctures horribly often, but got Kevlar lined tyres at the start of 2010 and haven't had a puncture since. A bit heavier and about £50 for a pair, but the benefits far outweigh this.
 ByEek 22 Oct 2013
In reply to willexodus: Seconded. That said, I have just had to replace my back (puncture resistant) tire because a bit of glass got stuck between the rubber and the kevlar liner!
Andy from Aberdeen 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: So? There's another site for this kind of stuff... Facebook.
Was there not a post recently about how the site was getting boring? This kind of crap is exactly why. Nobody cares if you got a puncture!
In reply to Flinticus:

Did you not get your stolen bike back?
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy from Aberdeen:
Why don't you show us how you're going to make the site interesting again. I can wait.
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
Nope. It was spotted at Dales in Glasgow city centre. The manager phoned and emailed me to say two guys came in and one of them had the bike (fitted description), but they couldn't do anything to get the bike off them.

Police notifed but what could they do? Nothing. Guys went off again and have not been back since.

Got a replacement on my insurance.
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
In reply to willexodus:
Would it cause any handling issues just getting a Kevlar lined tyre for the back wheel? Its always that one that gets punctured and that would keep the weight and cost down.
 rallymania 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

btw... did you buy the bike from Dales?

i used to work in a bike shop (ahem) and one of the ex members of staff had his bike stolen. toe rags appeared about 2 days later with it.

i calmly asked them if he'd had the recall notice on it about the frame snapping, he said no... can i check the frame number please to make sure it's not in the affected batch... frame number matched the stolen one so called the police... they were there in 5 minutes and our lad got his bike back. Dales used to have CCTV as well btw (probably still do but haven't been for a while) if so, any chance the guys can be recognised from it?

i know you've got a replacement, but it would still be nice to get these twonks busted
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
In reply to rallymania:
There was CCTV of the actual theft itself, from right outside Glasgow Climbing Centre but the police phoned me to say the quality was not good enough to make identification.

No, didn't get the bike at Dales.

Yeah, it would be nice to get the twonks. I had the bike long enough almost to give it a name! I don't know about you or anyone else, but you can become quiet attached to your bike.
In reply to Flinticus: I didn't say I'd make it interesting. What I won't do is fill it with shit.
> (In reply to Flinticus) I didn't say I'd make it interesting. What I won't do is fill it with shit.

Which is exactly what you are doing!
 Timmd 22 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Flinticus) I didn't say I'd make it interesting. What I won't do is fill it with shit.

Some tyre advice has come out of this thread...
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2013
I tend not to read stuff I find shite and boring. Might that be something to consider?
 The New NickB 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> First day: didn't have my repair kit with me. I mean, what were the chances...
>
Approaching 100%. I have only had one puncture in the course of 100s of rides on my current bike. That was the one time I didn't bother taking any kit as it was just a short 5 mile test ride after a service.
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to willexodus)
> Would it cause any handling issues just getting a Kevlar lined tyre for the back wheel?

I doubt it. In the past I never used to have matching tyres front and back and don't remember having any problems.

Wee Davie 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I've got Continental Gatorskin Hardshells on my roadbike. Punctured on my first outing with them! However, I would still recommend them as I was puncturing every 3rd ride with the standard tyres fitted...
 sleavesley 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: I think tyre choice can often be down to where you do a lot of your riding, what TPI they are, as well as the choice of tyre pressure you choose to inflate to.
I have continental attack/force combo and haven't had an issue with them for a very long time. So much so I am on my second rear tyre.
I know others will be along with similar tales with a decent set of Pro 3 or Schwalbe Ultremo etc etc. worth the upgrade for not having to change tyres constantly and improved rolling resistance.
Merlin were doing a set of wheels at around 1780g with pro3 s and inner tube for 159.
Velo ecosse I have also had excellent service from, think they are based Ina Edinburgh.
 Brass Nipples 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Get as puncture resultant as you like in winter. No one wants to go numb fixing punctures in sub zero temps. Revert to lighter tyres in the summer.
In reply to Flinticus: The problem with that is it normally has to be read first. It would be much easier if people didn't feel the need to report every boring detail of their life on the internet. So you got a puncture... boo hoo. Dry your eyes, don't publish it on the internet and get on with your life. If you want advice on a tyre, ask for it. That's fair enough. When I clicked on your post, I thought it may be a review. But no. This?!

"Got a new bike on insurance. Eventually. That was a mess in itself. After weeks of trains and wife's bike, I cycle my new bike to work. Great. Looking forward to ride home. Get to the garage and... back wheel punctured! FIRST day out. Back on the train home now."

What exactly were you wanting?! Heart felt sympathy, maybe? Was somebody waiting on your report on your first day with your new bike?!

This type of nonsense is exactly why this site is going downhill.
Removed User 23 Oct 2013

Have you considered the possibility that you are coming across as a bit of a knob?

Perhaps you need to take a look here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=566700
Andy from Aberdeen 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: No, not really. I am just saying it as it is. And if the majority of users don't agree, then this is not the place for me.

What kind of loser goes online to tell his cyber buddies that he got a puncture?! So what? What does he expect? Get a life, make some real pals (and that doesn't mean try to convince everybody you have real pals), go outside every now and again and get a f*cking grip of yourself. Maybe even kiss a woman once in a while.

This video here says it all (1:12 to 1:22):

youtube.com/watch?v=plEZB07vecs&
In reply to willexodus: Perhaps I don't
 TobyA 23 Oct 2013
> Maybe even kiss a woman once in a while.

Why not a bloke? Are you a homophobe? "I am just saying it as it is".
In reply to TobyA: I am a homophobe, yes. I dislike gays. Both male and female. But that's not really the point. Don't let my feelings discourage you. Feel free to go out and kiss as many blokes as you like, precious.
Slugain Howff 23 Oct 2013

Looking forward to some interesting posts from you Andy. Always good to have fresh and vibrant input.

S
 TobyA 23 Oct 2013
> Feel free to go out and kiss as many blokes as you like, precious.

Thanks for your blessing, I feel much better about myself now.

See what a positive effect you can have on someone's mood with just a few kind words Andy!

Sir Chasm 23 Oct 2013
> (In reply to TobyA) I am a homophobe, yes. I dislike gays. Both male and female. But that's not really the point. Don't let my feelings discourage you. Feel free to go out and kiss as many blokes as you like, precious.

Are you really from Aberdeen or is it actually Narnia? Deep, deep in the closet.
In reply to Slugain Howff: I really don't know how to take that... Ha ha. Is that a sincere comment, or a sarcastic one? Either way, I doubt I'll be using this site from now on. I am asking to have my account closed. I can't be bothered with all the 'please give me attention' crap. It's pathetic. And, unfortunately, there seems to be more of it popping up in the forums. Pity... it used to be a decent site. Lots of useful info.
In reply to Sir Chasm: Witty as f*ck
Slugain Howff 23 Oct 2013

Remember to tidy up the toys below the pram before you leave.

S
In reply to Slugain Howff: Brilliant. Not heard that one before. Hard as f*ck when you are sat behind a computer, eh?
 FreshSlate 23 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Slugain Howff) Brilliant. Not heard that one before. Hard as f*ck when you are sat behind a computer, eh?

Yes, yes you are. More keyboard warrior please.
 Timmd 23 Oct 2013
> (In reply to TobyA) I am a homophobe, yes. I dislike gays. Both male and female. But that's not really the point.

It does make you a bigot though.

Go and have a look inwards, chances are your life could be more fulfilled.
In reply to Timmd:

Andy from Aberdeen is alot more friendly in reel life

http://www.props-n-frocks.co.uk/mens-fancy-dress-costumes/889129-andy-pandy...
 Timmd 23 Oct 2013
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: I doubt it. I bet his hatred follows him around like a cloud, that rains on all who pass by him.
 tlm 23 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Slugain Howff) Brilliant. Not heard that one before. Hard as f*ck when you are sat behind a computer, eh?

I thought you were stomping off, never to return again, realising that your life now consists of not only choosing to read about other people's punctures, but also, taking the time to reply multiple times to them?

I'm amazed that you have had the time inbetween meeting and judging every gay person in the world! You are a whirlwind of activity!

Timmd 23 Oct 2013
In reply to tlm: It doesn't make any sense, the gay and lesbian and bisexual people in my life have been just as nice as any straight people I've known.

They've had to become good at spotting homophobes mind, it's usually the blokes whose faces harden into dislike and hate when they're around gay people. The more homophobic a man is the better he is at spotting if somebody is gay apparently, from seeing them as a threat. A watchful eye needs to be kept for anybody who seems to start looking unfriendly, when in pubs and places like that.

Some folk will be spotting Andy in Aberdeen, even if he doesn't realise it.
 MonkeyPuzzle 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

If it's even any consolation, all the homophobes I've met (wouldn't want to generalise, of course) have been f*cking morons.
 Tony the Blade 23 Oct 2013

What an utter cock you are!

F*ck off then, no-one will miss you.
andymac 23 Oct 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> If it's even any consolation, all the homophobes I've met (wouldn't want to generalise, of course) have been f*cking morons.

Agree.

Nearly always of limited intelligence.

And in my experience ,and interestingly ,they nearly always wear earrings.

And jewellery.

Grim 23 Oct 2013
> Either way, I doubt I'll be using this site from now on. I am asking to have my account closed.

How can we miss you if you won't go away?

TobyA 24 Oct 2013
In reply to andymac:

> Agree.

To be fair to Andy in Aberdeen I took it that he was meeting the facetiousness of my original remark with an equally facetious faux admittance to being homophobic. But, hey ho, in space no one can hear you scream and on UKC no one notices the statements with dripping irony.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...