UKC

Shake Holes - Night Nav - Merthyr Tydfil - Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi there,

I was thinking about doing a bit of night nav practice on the hills North East of Merthyr Tydfil. Around, Twyn Pwll Morlais, SO0711 ish. I've been put off by the Shake Holes. I've not been up there before or ever encountered Shake holes.

Am I making a good call and avoiding plunging down holes in the dark?
Or
Are the holes not that bad and it could be a great place to brush up on my nag?

Thanks for you advice?

ED
 Katie86 21 Oct 2013
In reply to eddy-on-the-rocks:

It is a good place to practice Nav, especially as some shake holes have appeared since the map was produced and some are not deep enough to warrant marking on the map. In my experience, you tend to notice them before you fall in.
 Run_Ross_Run 21 Oct 2013
Try a night nav session up on Llangynidr moors. Sorts the men from the boys that does. (Im still in pre school).
 Welsh Kate 21 Oct 2013
We use the Twynau for nav training for Central Beacons MRT, largely because our base is just down the road. It's a perfectly good area, but there are other better areas around: it's a bit scrappy underfoot at times. Watch out for the gas pipeline which makes compass use interesting! I'd park at Asda and walk up.

As Ross says, Llangynidr is good for night nav (I prefer the west side of the B road, it's slightly less boggy), and Cwm Cadlan (north of the B road) is also very good.

Shakeholes make excellent targets for both day and night nav, you're very unlikely to go plunging down one as long as you're not running.

Thank you all for the advice. Looks like I've got a nice evening plodding around tomorrow night. By the sounds of it it could be a very tricky night.

Cheers,

Ed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...