UKC

Removable valve core - why??!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stouffer 22 Oct 2013
I punctured on the way home last night and endured a rather infuriating experience trying to fix it. Firstly I couldn't manage to repair the tube in the dark so I opted for my spare. However each time I blew the tyre up and removed the pump it unscrewed the valve core with it, leading to a depressing deflation for both the inner tube and myself. In the end I gave up and rang for a lift.

Firstly could anyone tell me what the point of a removable core is? More importantly is there anything I can do to stop it coming out? My pump is one of Lezyne ones with a screw-on hose. I just bought a couple of these Conti tubes so I assume they all have the same valves.
 ewar woowar 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer:

Sounds like a Presta valve.

Yes they are all like that.

Solution....

Tighten up carefully (so you don't damage the thread).
Use needle nosed pliers or sometimes a spoke key will fit.

Look carefully and you will notice a couple of flats on the insert.
Use these to avoid damaging those thin threads.

HTH

E. W.
OP stouffer 22 Oct 2013
In reply to ewar woowar: Cheers, yeah I did it up this morning with some pliers to see if that would help, was wondering if it was possible to stick a dab of glue on the thread or anything.
 zebidee 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer:
> Firstly could anyone tell me what the point of a removable core is?

Removable core is so that the valve can be completely removed - helpful if you're trying to completely deflate the tyre or fill it with some kind of anti-puncture slime.
 jasonpm 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer: Removable valve core valves are often used for UST or tubeless so you can take the core out and pour latex sealer in.
 Blinder 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer: have suffered the same problem myself. It only a problem on the Lenze style pumps. Not all valve cores are removable. I would say that about 50 % are and 50 % are not. I always check when I buy a new stock of tubes. If they are I tighten them with a pair of pliers.

As a previous poster suggested a use of the removable core is it allows you to add sealent to your tubes ( totally recommend in winter or for comunting) or to use valve extenders with deep section wheels.
 steev 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer:

Had the same issue with my Lezyne track pump. Was advised against using loctite on the threads of the core, for reasons I forget (although I seem to remember thinking the person was talking nonsense anyway). In the end I just tightened the cores in with pliers. Did the job well.
OP stouffer 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer: Pliers it is then!
 Siward 22 Oct 2013
In reply to stouffer: You can get adapter things for Lezyne pumps which make them press on rather than screw on. My preference is just to tighten the valve cores right up when I first fit a tube.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...