UKC

tryfans geology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jon2aber 24 Oct 2013
i dont suppose anyone can tell me why there are so many large broken rocks on the top of tryfan?
 bleddynmawr 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber: Just natural weathering. I don't think that it is remarkably different from a lot of the glyderau.
 toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber: frost shattering - cycles of freeze thaw during the glacial periods - Snowdonia was essentially shaped by glaciers, but the very tops were either not, or only thinly covered by ice. This meant that the rocks on the summits got bashed around by freezing until they broke up into the shapes you see here and on the Glyderau.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/glacial_landscapes/glac...
 BMrider 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber:
It is a process known as freeze thaw. Produces the effect of frost shattering.
http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/ks3/gsl/education/resources/rockcycle/page3717.ht...

Look up nunatak; try to imagine 10,000 Yrs ago these summits (ie: Tryfan and the Glyders etc.) poking out above the glaciers that filled the valleys.
You'll see this type of weathering on many British summits.

(Or, with the presence of Adam and Eve, it's the garden of Eden and was created like that by the Creator.....)
 toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to BMrider: I've laways thought nunatak should be written:

NUNATTACK!!!!!

I don't know what it is, but it's wierd and it's got a rosary
 BMrider 24 Oct 2013
In reply to toad:
Ha ha , yes.
A few years ago, I saw three Nuns on the summit of Rysy (2499 m) Tatra mountains, in full habits with climbing boots! They were smiling. Quite incongruous appearance, but no attack.
Rigid Raider 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber:

S'nothing.... a few years ago on a warm summer evening I came across four girls in full black burkas on the top of Pendle Hill. From our brief conversation I got the feeling that the expedition was a daring clandestine escape from the controlled environment of their daily lives in Burnley.
abseil 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber:
> i dont suppose anyone can tell me why there are so many large broken rocks on the top of tryfan?

Geology students with hammers??
 chris_r 24 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber:
Because trundling idiots haven't got to Tryfan yet?
 Blodwyn 30 Oct 2013
In reply to jon2aber: Did you not see the Mountain series a couple of years ago. Gryff Rhys Jones explained that the Bearded One, a giant, was throwing rocks across the hills from Elidir Fawr, some must have dropped short onto Tryfan!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...