UKC

Click up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icnoble 28 Oct 2013
Has any one used the click up belay device? If so what do you think of it?
 Murd 28 Oct 2013
In reply to icnoble: using one for about 18 months, really like it, easy to use, no signs of wear. It's not to keen on big fat ropes is the only down side that I can think of.
Hi there,

There is a lot on this forum already, including a proper review in the gear reviews section. I'll summarise pros and cons based on my personal use experience.

Pros:
- you use it pretty much the same way you use an atc (giving and taking slack), meaning it's very easy to use, no need to touch the device for belaying (like you do with, to name two, Cinch and, more often than not, with the Gri Gri)
- it provides a more dynamic catch in case of a fall (slippage, see cons)
- easier to control lowering off speed
- it can be preventively locked should you ever need to (though instructions obviously say one should never leave the braking end of the rope)
- smaller and lighter than most other assisted braking devices
- even if loaded incorrectly it will still "work" (that is, it will allow you to safely lower off your partner and start again)
- can be used by right and left handed people alike
- there is no way to bypass the locking mechanism (like there is with other assisted braking devices) making bad practices virtually impossible
- cheaper than most other assisted braking devices

Cons:
- with stiffer ropes (note: stiffness is more important than thickness for the Click Up) it tends to lock more easily giving slack. With these ropes you really need to feed the rope in from above, you can't just pull the rope out of the device
- when lowering off you ought to make sure the device is in line with the rope, if that makes sense, to prevent the rope getting twisted over time
- slippage: with some ropes you'll notice a bit of slippage through the device. This does not in any way make it less safe as you will always have the braking end of the rope in your hand. Note: we're talking millimetres, not even centimetres. However, if you are belaying someone working a route and yelling at you to take more rope in, it can be frustrating. Also, any slippage it's not ideal for top rope belaying (Gri Gri and Cinch are unbeatable at that)
- it needs a wide symmetric hms biner, ideally the CT Concept (no wonder...). However, it wears the biner out faster than an atc.
- after longer lowering offs the biner gets really hot, careful!

The perfect device is yet to be invented but at least for belaying a leader the Click Up is to date my favourite.

Ciao!

Nic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...