UKC

Norway - setesdal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simonj 03 Nov 2013
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with info on climbing in Norway (southern), shall I invest in the Setesdal guide? are there any other areas I shouldn't miss when out there?

Any help with the best way to get there from the North (based in York) would also be appreciated (planning on taking my own car is Newcastle to Holland the best bet and then drive on)?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Si
OP Simonj 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Simonj: bump
 TobyA 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Simonj:

Not climbed in Setesdal so can't help there, friends who went really enjoyed though. I think it's quite normal to include climbs both there and the other famous valley nearish - Hemsdal is it?

> Any help with the best way to get there from the North (based in York) would also be appreciated (planning on taking my own car is Newcastle to Holland the best bet and then drive on)?

I've done the drive from Scandinavia to England (Midlands specifically) a number of times. It seems that there are no boats going to Norway anymore and when we looked at crossing from Denmark to Harwich it was horribly expensive; far too much for us and we just had to drive on down to Dunkirk and get a cheap ferry to Dover. I don't know about the Newcastle boats I guess its saves you the drive down to Dover and maybe two or three hour from Dunkirk up into Holland, but if the prices are anything like the Esberg-Harwich crossings, sucking it up and doing the extra driving may be the cheaper option.

BTW, Google maps seems to think there is a Hull-Holland ferry. Have you checked out that possibility?
 adnix 04 Nov 2013
In addition to the Setesdal guid you'll probably want to check out Klattring i Rogaland guide to west and Gå Telemark guide to east. They all have very good climbing - also in winter.
 Jamie Wakeham 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Simonj: I would certainly invest in the Setesdal guide; lots of information at the website: http://www.climb-setesdal.webs.com/

As for getting there - taking the ferry and driving is certainly less convenient than flying and hiring. I doubt it's cheaper, too, unless you're going to have a carful of people? I seem to remember looking to see if it was a sensible option last time I went, and came to the conclusion that it barely broke even with four in my car and would take a *lot* longer.

OP Simonj 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Simonj: that's great, thanks for all the help. Will have a quick look at hull ferries and also flights. Cheers si
 Jayhigh 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Simonj:

I second that Setesdal website as a good source; we went in Feb last year and had a great week. We stayed in Valle, which proved fairly central for getting to lots of different crags.

The guidebook is excellent, we went to different falls every day and didn't see another climber all week.
 adnix 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:

I hope we're not talking about two different guides. One for rock climbing by Panico and one for ice climbing by Oxford Climbing Club.

In my opinion both are good value for the price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...