UKC

Whinlatter forest trails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 04 Nov 2013
Thinking of a trip to somewhere with a few mates for some cycling and a few beers.....any opinions on whinlatter for a couple of rides....we'll be a mixed group as far as ability and nerve!
In reply to abr1966: Whinlatter is brilliant although limited and I'd say you'd need to be pretty confident to get the most from it. The south loop is quite short but the better of the two loops. Grizedale is pretty good for beginners but that's in the south lakes.
In reply to abr1966: It's one of my top 2. I like short, fast action packed trails. I've ridden most of the trails in Northern England, North Wales and Southern Scotland I think. Llandegla is my other favorite.
 MHutch 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

The blue at Whinlatter is ace for novices and better riders alike. Really good flowing fun. You can start on that and work up to the South Loop, then on to the North Loop, which IMO is the technically toughest of the two 'reds'.
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

If its a mixed group - have day a Grizdale (the North Face red is fine for all abilities), then have next day at Whinlatter, do Blue first, then the more capable can go off do red south then red north. The rest can go round the blue again!
MarkM 05 Nov 2013
In reply to MHutch:
funny - I came away from Whinlatter on Sunday thinking I wouldn't bother going there again in a hurry...

but I suspect it was just a bad day .. 3 'mechanicals', couple of minor falls, hailstorm etc. - other visits have been more fun.

I thought the South loop had the best descent of the 2 Red loops - though both myself and friend came off on one of the bermed corners (wet rock sloping in wrong direction)..

Cheers
Mark

Horse 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

I find the TNF Trail at Grizedale dull and most less experienced riders I have been with didn't enjoy it much.

Go to Whinlatter, the blue is really good for all abilities, worth doing more than once. Both reds are also well worth a go. You should be able to get them all a couple of times or mix and match once you get to know your way round.
 mike123 05 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
as shaun l says , whinlatter packs lots of fun in to a small area , the trails are well designed and generally well maintained. the three marked trails are easily ridden in a day (if you re reasonably fit) and if that day doesnt leave you with a very big grin then trail center riding probably isnt for you. there are also lots of forestry tracks that can be worked into the 3 "trails" and mix and matched, that gives endless variety , although for a first time not really necessary. on top of this the cafe is top draw. so an all round top day out. the fact its on our door step is also a bit of a bonus.
 TheGeneralist 05 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> I like short, fast action packed trails. ...Llandegla is my other favorite.

Does not compute.

Anyway, back the the OP. Yes Whinlatter's pretty good for a southern route. Got a few slightly techie bits on it.

TNF at Grizedale is supremely dull. Don't go there in preference to Whinlatter. (no idea about the new downhill section at Grizedale, it might be ok)
OP abr1966 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966: Thanks for replies.....seems a goer and have found a good place in Keswick to sleep 8 on a short break!
We are a wide mix.....some who have only done simple forest tracks to others who do Morzine downhills every year.....wherever we go the Dog and Gun will be the end of the day!
 martinph78 05 Nov 2013
In reply to TheGeneralist: Tend to agree with the above.

TNF trail wasn't great, but a day at Whinlatter was good and we'd go back there again. Stop in the shop at Braithwaite for a breakfast bun and coffee on the way up
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966:

TNF is Ok - yes its not great and a bit dull, but for a mixed group good for a try out.

Whinlatter is just very very good.

Couple of vids of the Whinlatter Reds from a wet November last year (same as now then!).... Over long footage..

South
vimeo.com/54359286

North (my Fav of the two), sorry for the dark bit in middle
vimeo.com/54491709
 phleppy 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966: Thought it was pretty good, we used to drive over from teeside on the weekend, I love the downhill zig zags at the end.
In reply to TheGeneralist:
> (In reply to shaun l)
> [...]
>
> Does not compute.
>

Really?! I'd say I've caught more air time at that trail than all the others combined. Do you mean it's not short, fast or action packed?

That's why llendegla's up there, I really like Whinlatter because of the two climbs - two decents set up (only did the red). Thought that was awesome, I love big climbs. I guess my favorite thing about those two is the lack of fire road, if it's flat or down hill you're on single track mostly.

Do you know any others that better suit my tastes? Do share!
In reply to TheGeneralist: Did you ride the black route?
 Chris the Tall 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
The main drawback at Llandegla is the long boring fireroad at the start, just as the main drawback of TNF is the long boring fireroad in the middle. IIRC Whinlatter has a much lower percentage of fireroad, the Blue flows really nicely and the Reds were challenging and not for the nervous. It's a good choice for short winter days

The advantage of Grizedale over Whinlatter - at least in good conditions - is that you can combine sections of the TNF will the trad bridleways that criss-cross the forest and offer some of the best descents in the lakes.

Not a fan of the black at Grizedale - too steep for my liking, I never like losing hard earned altitude too quickly.
 MHutch 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I'd agree that if the group is going to split up during the day, checking out the Grizedale BW network would be more fun for the more experienced riders. I'd still probably plump for Whinlatter if I had to choose one.
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

The DH bits of the red/black combos at Llandegalla are good, but was a little bit disappointed with the overall red/black loop (we did have fun when we went last December)) - thought it was never quite steep enough on the downs as they have tried to eek out the length by contouring a bit too much (IMO of course).
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
> (In reply to shaun l)
>
>
> The advantage of Grizedale over Whinlatter - at least in good conditions - is that you can combine sections of the TNF will the trad bridleways that criss-cross the forest and offer some of the best descents in the lakes.

Yep - we did a loop out on the Grizedale BW that took in what is locally known as "Submarines" - and yes, we nearly got fully submerged on it last November.
In reply to ChrisJD: It's the jumps that do it for me. Feel like Danny Hart everytime I ride it!
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> Feel like Danny Hart everytime I ride it!

But can you sit on the saddle? (you may not get this reference!)

In reply to ChrisJD:
Let me guess - somewhere in the Parkamoor region, but not the route than runs along the ridge overlooking the lake
In reply to Chris the Tall: The start's a pain but it's all climbing no? Tend to just thrash myself up it, grab a drink and let the fun commence. Grizdale's one of the few I haven't ridden (to my knowledge). Onone's only seen the Lakes once, poor creature...
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to shaun l)
> [...]
>
> (you may not get this reference!)

Nope! :-s

ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013

Think it was this bit:

54.325027, -3.056829
http://binged.it/1dMWIGD
 Horse 06 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Ah, rode that bit in June on the way to Nibthwaite descent a wet suit and snorkel would have been useful.
In reply to ChrisJD:
Yep, that's where I thought, which is why I always approach the Nibthwaite descent by taking the ridge route from here

54.33985, -3.050263
http://binged.it/1dMZxHG

Has to be one of the best stretches in the area, but I rarely see anyone else on it.
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> Ah, rode that bit in June on the way to Nibthwaite descent a wet suit and snorkel would have been useful.

Definitely! And that was June - we swam/rode it last November...
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> Yep, that's where I thought, which is why I always approach the Nibthwaite descent by taking the ridge route from here
>
> 54.33985, -3.050263
> http://binged.it/1dMZxHG

We rode back into the Grizdale TNF on that

In reply to ChrisJD: Of course! STAY ON YOUR SEAT DANNY!!!

I've ridden the first two hundred yards of that route. Fell off a dozen times then pushed it the rest of the way. When we got to the end there was about 10 English kids plus me and Johnj rolling 30 grand of mountain bikes down the trail
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Was thinking more of the "“How does he sit down with b*ll* that big?”
 Seymore Butt 06 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

How does Whinlatter compare to my local trail centre at Gisburn forest?. That is,If you've sampled Gisburn.

Al
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Seymore Butt:

Been to Gisburn three times and really like it.

I'd say in terms of overall quality (... how sated you feel at the end of the ride...), that there were on a par, although different in style/feel;

Whinlatter has to win on the length of downhill, the quality of the downhill(the North Loop especially, almost like natural trail riding through the dark wooded sections) and sustained climbs of course!. Posted a few links to some chesty GoPro footage from Whinlatter back up the thread.

Be a tough choice of the two if I only had one day, but probably Whinlatter.

No doubt opposite views will be expressed very shortly!
 Tall Clare 06 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

At lowly level I rate the blue at Whinlatter over the blue at Gisburn.
 MHutch 06 Nov 2013

Gisburn red is more of a XC trail - there's not a vast amount of pure climbing. It comes in at about 12 miles versus about 17 for blue and both reds at Whinlatter.

Whinlatter has a lot more height gain, but longer downhills as the payback. There are a couple of features which are testing - one similar to the staircase on Homebaked, but on the whole it's built to ride with a bit more flow - and speed, in the case of the south descent.

If you've got the fitness to go around Gisburn without too much bother, you'll have a blast.
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> At lowly level I rate the blue at Whinlatter over the blue at Gisburn.

The Blue at Whinlatter is very good indeed.

In reply to abr1966:
BTW - assuming you do take everyones advice and go to Whinlatter, then be aware that it's easy to miss out a big section on the South Loop

I say easy, the signing may have improved and it may just have been me with my head in the clouds, but I went round once, thought that was a bit shorter than expected, went round again and still didn't realise anything was amiss until I had a look at a trail map that evening.

Also, there's quite a good BW from Whinlatter down to Portinscale, but be aware that drainage ditches are quite savage and can easily rip the nobbles off your tyres, which is particularly fun if you riding down in the dark.

Another reason for going there is that the café is handier than at Grizedale - so if you've got a mixed group people can always sit out a lap
 Tall Clare 06 Nov 2013

The downhill bit of the south loop immediately after the bit you missed out (and I missed out last time I was there) is *ace* fun!
In reply to Tall Clare:
Is that the bit that starts of with the wooden ramp/jump ?
I wimped out of the woodwork, but enjoyed the rest
 Tall Clare 06 Nov 2013

I also wimped out of that - I remember feeling a bit, er, emotional at the idea that I'd have to go over it, but on discovering it was a black bit and I am but a lowly punter, I felt able to excuse myself with dignity...
 MHutch 06 Nov 2013

Trying to work out which bit you mean. I can only think it's the bit where the trails cross about 2/3rds of the way up the south loop. Did you get to the 'top' of the south route - a definite little rocky summit?
In reply to Tall Clare:
It was damp, I was on my own, had already broken two spokes and anyway I'm an XC rider - the cycling equivalent of saying "I'm a greater ranges man" when out climbing!
In reply to MHutch:
http://cdn3.coresites.mpora.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/wh...

I think it's point 6 on the map - lovely switchback climb leads up to fireroad, at which point I think you should go right, but the drop thing is visible to your left and I'm easily distracted!

Must try and get back there and do it again, properly
MarkM 06 Nov 2013
Interesting... we were comparing the 2 after Sunday's visit to Whinlatter and both preferred Gisburn!

Having said that we hadn't done the Blue routes at either trail centre. Also Whinlatter was a wet (hailing at times!) day - and the rock is slippier than the gritstone of Gisburn.

Better long descents at Whinlatter for sure and better wooded sections. But for max enjoyment (and I'm currently slightly more in XC mode) I preferred the flow of Gisburn - especially with recent additions to the start and finish of routes.

Cheers
Mark
MarkM 06 Nov 2013
Yes... easily missed - especially as there is a red arrow pointing left (as well as right!)
Cheers
Mark
 Horse 06 Nov 2013

Easily missed, but worth going back for. You do have to work it bit harder for the rewards. I usually do it a couple of times as you don't lose much height on the top section.
 TheGeneralist 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> Really?! I'd say I've caught more air time at that trail than all the others combined. Do you mean it's not short, fast or action packed?

Sorry, I was letting my dislike of Llandegla get the better of me. For some reason I took "action packed" to mean technical, and in my view Llandegla is completely non technical. In my view it's tedious and a great missed opportunity.

However, I have to be fair and say that's because I have no interest in jumping but rather like gnadgery technical trails that are a challenge to ride in themselves. I fully appreciate that if one likes getting air then 'degla is probably as good a place as any for it. And to answer your other point, I agree it is short and it is fast.

cheers
 TheGeneralist 06 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> Did you ride the black route?

Yes, but it's not really my style, and definitely not a black route.

(In reply to Chris T)
> The main drawback at Llandegla is the long boring fireroad at the start, just as the main drawback of TNF is the long boring fireroad in the middle

I disagree, the main drawback to both of them is that there is almost nothing with is remotely tricky or technical to ride.

(In reply to ChrisJD)

> How does Whinlatter compare to my local trail centre at Gisburn forest?.
I think Gisburn is far better since it actually has some sections that are tricky to ride (the black sections off the side up at the top). I really like those bits. Really lots
In reply to TheGeneralist: Agree with you about the black route, piss to ride but fast and jumpy. I love the jumpyness! I love technical stuff too though, don't get me wrong! I'm just f*cking mad for it really. Faster = mader
 ChrisJD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Have you had uplift days at Antur, Bike Park Wales, or Forest-o-Dean yet?

If not, I think you'd have a blast.
In reply to ChrisJD: Cheers mate, didn't realise we had up lifts here! I'll check it out for sure. Went out to morzine last year - mountain bike + ski lift = ecstasy
 ChrisJD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

You didn't!!

This is one of the blacks at Antur (ridden on my do everything bike):

vimeo.com/68914646

(cannot guarantee weather will ever be like this at Antur again!...)
In reply to ChrisJD: Oh man that looks quality, is it lifts or do you get a ride? Cheers for the video Chris.
 ChrisJD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Tansit vans & trailers. Very well run and nice guys.
 ChrisJD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Thee are also some clips of Forest of Dean & Bike Park Wales on my Vimeo account (if you are really really bored!).
 Horse 07 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

I was very pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the van service, they really have got it nailed. I am pretty sure there was always one waiting when we got to the end of a run. Longest wait before heading back uphill was no more than 10 minutes.
srhodes999 07 Nov 2013
In reply to abr1966: Wayfarers Hostel in Penrith is a great place to stay - set up for cyclists with indoor storage, maintenance area with tools, wash down area outside and good drying room! Warm and comfortable with great showers - just what's needed after a days cycling!
Plus Mark who runs the hostel can advise on all the best routes in the north lakes and Eden valley areas as he is a keen cyclist himself. Check out their website - definitely worth it!
In reply to ChrisJD: Cool, will check them out when I get a chance, I don't have to be bored to watch mountain bike videos!
In reply to Horse: Sounds good, do you remember how much it costs?
 Horse 07 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

It was £26 for the day, in the summer it ran from 10am till 4pm with a 40 minute lunch stop for the drivers. Might be different in winter. I thought it really good value for money at about £2 per run.
In reply to Horse: Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...