UKC

Any experience of Club Direct insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 06 Nov 2013
Hi all,

Just about to have three weeks in Thailand (Tonsai area) and five weeks in Oz (including climbing at Mt Arapiles). Club Direct are quoting £80 for the insurance inc. "Rock climbing with Tools" (ie, ropes..(!?)), whereas the BMC are quoting £186.
I know with insurance you get what you pay for and am suspicious of the cheap quote. I can't see much difference in the small print - levels of recompense etc.
The proof of an insurance company is in the pay out - has anyone had any experience or problems with Club Direct?
Cheers,
Lex
 Dave Ferguson 06 Nov 2013
In reply to lex:
I use club direct, have been for last 8 years for climbing trips abroad, never had to claim from them.

Used BMC before that and had a big claim for hospitalisation in Chamonix and being flown home, they took ages to pay and getting the money was a real hassle. They were underwritten at the time by General Accident so it wasn't the BMC's fault its just insurance companies don't like paying out!

I will always go for the cheaper option these days and take the risk of a long drawn out argument about paying out if the worst happens, as in my experience it still happens if you pay more.
 IPPurewater 06 Nov 2013
In reply to lex: Have you thought of joining the Austrian Alpine Club ?

http://aacuk.org.uk/

They do insurance cover as a part of membership.

I use this in conjunction with a general holiday policy that also allows trekking - Insure and GO in my case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...