UKC

Thuoghts on this bike as a £650 roadie?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Toying with getting one of these at this good price of £349 for a £649 bike:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/volant-00-2013-road-bike-ec0437...

As a 600 quid bike, it seems reasonable. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I cannot afford the Volaire. Thanks.
 dale1968 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: My thoughts; Buy cheap buy twice. If thats all you can afford have a look around for a good second hand bike, in just a quick search I have seen a bike I would be happy with, a Felt with 105 and a bit of quality.
A caveat to this If it's just going to sit in the shed collecting dust then it will not matter one jot, but if you intend on doing 60+ miles a week then try and get something better somehow, I note that your employ is the NHS you could try the Cycle to work scheme http://www.bikesforthenhs.com/
 sleavesley 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: if your using it for a commute it would be ideal. I.e if it got pinched it's not so much to replace.
Weighs in at just under 10kg.
 gethin_allen 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
I wouldn't touch it for £650 but at £350 it's a bit closer.
overall kit is pretty low spec.
 danm 06 Nov 2013

I wouldn't. If you can, stretch to a decent frame with minimum spec. kit with the assumption you'll upgrade later if keen. Cannondale CAAD8 with Sora as a minimum for example. There are stacks of good second bikes around atm, as loads of folk buy one new, go out a couple of times then lose interest.
T_Mac 06 Nov 2013
The Volant series has a really poorly designed frame to be honest, its super harsh and unforgiving which, on an entry level bike isn't usually the desired feel. Go to a few bike shops and test ride as many in your price range as possible. Then think about what you're prepared to compromise on having ridden a few.
As a rule of thumb, Alu bikes start to get good at the £800 mark when you start to see Tiagra as a minimum groupset. I'd look at £1000 and get 105 with a nice comfy frame like the Cannondale Synapse 105 (admitedly its just over the grand but its a lovely smooth ride with great componentry).
 FrankBooth 07 Nov 2013
Rutland Cycling are doing for £340 - http://www.rutlandcycling.com/159261/products/genesis-volant-00-2013-road-b...
At that price it's pretty good value - if you decide you want something more special in future you'd get most of your outlay back selling on ebay in the spring
 Wee Davie 07 Nov 2013

I did hundreds of miles this Summer on my bike (a Specialized Allez). Similar low end groupset etc but it goes well and I used it for a 110 mile Sportive recently. No mechanical failures on my bike (bar a few punctures to the crap tyres) and it seems to do the job fine. It's a rocket ship compared to the mtb with slicks.

GrahamD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to T_Mac:

I'm not sure that recommending a £1000 bike for someone with £350 to spend is very helpful
 gregor 07 Nov 2013
Hi Nick

My take would be it is good for the money and if thats what you want to spend just go for it. For 4 years I used the equivalent preceding model for lots of riding around the place and a few 80 mile or so sportives. Paid £600 new but the following year my brother got the same model for £400. It was my first road bike since the teenage years and I think it's absolutely fine. Upgraded this year to something x3 price the old one and noticed 'a bit' of difference but overall was struck by how much 'it's not about the bike'.

Don't underestimate Decathlon's bikes.
They offer amazing value, and consistently get good reviews.

For £430, this has a higher spec:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html
Rigid Raider 08 Nov 2013

Seconded Triban 5, excellent value for money.
 snapperdan 08 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Another vote for Decathlon from me. My one was cheaper than that genesis and has tiagra and carbon seat stays - other companies just can't compete with decathlon's buying power. The bikes are great to ride too.
T_Mac 08 Nov 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
He never said he only £350 to spend. He merely stated that he'd seen the Volant for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...