UKC

Fracture recovery week 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hans 08 Nov 2013
Hi

This is a continuation of a previous thread I started two weeks ago. It is just a small, brief account of the recovery process.

Still a long way to go, but one thing I am surprised about is the extent to which my arm feels normal and capable of doing things now (like supporting my weight for sitting or standing) when five days ago I was in agony. Absolutely cannot climb still. (I did try which was very stupid).

I have 80 percent ROM back, and I reckon 50 percent strength. Progress is starting to slow down now, so I'm in for the long haul to make a full recovery I think. Still not taking painkillers- 'treatment' has been a nuclear hot bath everyday.

Anyways, time to go fell running for the weekend. I still haven't dared go cycling. Should I get back on the bike? I'm scared of having another accident. Any thoughts appreciated on that one.

Cheers

wilkesley 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Hans:

Good news that it's getting better. Try doing a very short ride and see if it's painful. Obviously you don't want to fall on it again for a few months. It's hardly surprising you are frightened about going out again. Build your confidence back by doing short rides in areas where there is little traffic, if that's possible where you live.
OP Hans 08 Nov 2013
In reply to wilkesley: Cheers

Yes it's possible to go out for a few short rides. Think I'll just stick to sustrans routes for a week or so and then venture a very overly cautious road ride.

Guess the psychology is similar to taking a lead fall in climbing. The advice is usually to get back onto the rock soon but at a much reduced difficulty. So I think your advice is very sound.

Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...