UKC

Khumbu Webcam, where is it looking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 08 Nov 2013
Hi

Does anybody know what the view is in the Khumbu Webcam on the Pyramid near Lobuche? Is it looking down valley into Chhukhung area? Or elsewhere?

realtime here

http://evk2.isac.cnr.it/

or archived views here (as, for eg., it is dark presently)

http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/1238402094-Weather-Mount-Everest-2-Junbesi

There seems to have been a lot of snow around this last week (at least). But maybe it isn't looking at the low valley region I thought.
 Escher 08 Nov 2013
In reply to BruceM: It's pointing more towards Pangboche as that is in a direct line between Lobuche and Kangtega and Thamserku which are in the middle of the images, with taweche on the right. If it was pointing towards Chukkung Ama Dablam would be on the right, Amphu Labtsa in the middle and island Peak on the left, although I can't remember if you actually can see them from there. Although my hazy memory recalls seeing Ama Dablam from near there but it's been a while since I was in the Khumbu.
OP BruceM 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Escher:

Oh brilliant. Thanks Escher. I didn't realize it would be viewing so far down the valley. I guess that could be the flanks of Ama Dablam, or nearbys, on the LHS. Does seem a load of snow about then.
 Escher 08 Nov 2013
In reply to BruceM: I think it's probably Awi peak directly on the left, as that's right next to Lobuche, then Pokalde and Kongma Tse are directly behind that, then Ama Dablam directly behind them.

I think that recent cyclone reached Nepal and I heard of a lot of rain in Kathmandu a couple of weeks ago, perhaps it dumped a lot of snow too? There's been major delays in Lukla in the last week too, compounded by the lack of operators now flying.
OP BruceM 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Escher:
Clearly these hills are a lot bigger than we are used to

I'll be watching the snow cover over coming weeks, but given temps seem to peak -5 to 0 degrees right now, it's hard to imagine that lot disappearing and turning it into an approach-shoe-style trekking region during December.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...