UKC

St Anton area in a Van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 09 Nov 2013
Thinking about going to the St Anton area at easter in the van for a mix of lift accessed off piste and touring.

Anyone got any recommendations on routes, books, where to park a van and where to get a shower?

Cheers
OP DaveHK 10 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Naebody?
 Adam Lincoln 10 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

We were there about that time and parking is very restricted, and certainly everything is orientated towards the rich ski tourist. Not the best place to be van dossing IMHO.
OP DaveHK 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Interesting, I wonder about some of the other villages in the area?
 Martin Bennett 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Au contraire - St Anton has the very best facility for vanning - solves the hot shower question too.

See: http://www.camping-arlberg.at/en/camping.html

Haggis Trap 11 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

The Andy Thurner book seems to be the best English language guide book for the Arlberg (though I suspect there might be others in German?).
I only have the "freeride" book but there is also a "ski touring" one.
You need to drop him an email to order a copy.

http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/engl.buch.html

St Anton is a big ski town and generally busy. We stayed over in Stuben for a week - which perhaps has the best skiing : but not much else going on. Great part of the alps with long ski heritage - would love to go back.
 inboard 11 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
Not been in a van, but have been many times.

Haggis Trap is correct about the Thurner books, both of which are good.

Nearby valleys have lots of options - the valley (forgotten name) near Lech, which has Warth & Schroecken resorts, has some great touring (I have a german language magazine supplement which has various day tours, PM if you want a scan). Also, you're not far from Silvretta - maybe 90minutes drive from St A to Ischgl which has some good touring & lift-assisted fun. If the weather closes in around Arlberg, then there's loads of lower altitude day tours around the Innsbruck area which again is not far on the autobahn.

Landeck could be a good option for van camping if St A is poor. And Landeck means you're closer to other options such as Ischgl and further down the Inntal.

The Rother skitourenfuhrer books are also useful: http://www.rother.de/index_k_avf.htm All in German, but useful maps and summaries which should be OK even if you don't speak much of the language.

have a great trip. I'm a huge fan of that area of the Alps. if you're lucky with the powder, you'll be smiling for months

Rod
OP DaveHK 12 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers folks.

Rather than a fancy dan campsite I was thinking about a car park and sneaking into the swimming pool for a shower...
Kanobi 15 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I like your thinking!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...