UKC

Ski goggles with glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alansage 12 Nov 2013
I took up skiing a couple of years ago. I have a pretty good pair of goggles, which I tend to wear all the time on the slopes. The problem is that I wear glasses, and while the inner surface of the goggles is coated and stays fog-free, the glasses steam up pretty chronically. Which is annoying. I wonder if anyone has good solutions? Do goggles with prescription inserts work? Or other suggestions? It seems that my eyes are a bit of a funny shape and contacts don't really fit me....
 Kelcat 12 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage: I got bought some goggles with pres gription inserts a couple of years ago. At first I thought they were a gimmick. They have a tiny fan that demists them & they are....absolutely fantastic - pretty much all I ski in now. Fan has two settings, lower on is virtually silent & does the job, higher one for standing around sweating buckets when I've just scared myself in the steep & deep.
 Trangia 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Kelcat:

Sounds just what I've been looking for.

Do you have a link?
 Gael Force 12 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage: Presumably you have tried the goggles made for spectacle wearers which are a bit larger.
 Kelcat 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia: hi T, I'll go up in the loft & get the make model etc for you tomoz, pm me if I forget.
 itsThere 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Kelcat: Whats the peripheral vision like on them, ive been looking for something like this for ages. I dont want to ski or bike with my glasses incase they get smashed into my face, they are already slightly bent from a few falls on my bike.
 Kelcat 13 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage
http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Ski-Goggles/Smith-Prescrip...

Mine are a couple of years older so not shown, but basically the same.
I've had insert type sunglasses & they were worse than useless. What I like about the goggles is that the insert is shaped to pretty much fill the lens, so excellent all round vision.
hth
K
 sianabanana 13 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage:
I have bolle inserts for my goggles. They are fine and I keep them as a backup.

Before i used contacts, i made sure i had some solution that motorbikers use on their visors to avoid fog.

But its not as good as contacts.

I couldn't wear them either, uncomfortable and not a good match for my prescription etc.

I persevered and now have some contacts i can wear. They are not good enough for me to use day to day, for reading or using the computer, but are fine for riding.

If you havent tried with contacts recently, you may find that there are more options available for you now as brands change and your eyes too.
Just a thought.
 sianabanana 13 Nov 2013
In reply to sianabanana:

Oh and just a note about the inserts.

Each brand make their own insert to fit their own goggles, and only fit certain goggles in their range.

They need to curve round the shape of the goggle and be deep enough to touch your face, and actually fit the goggle so they hold in place.

The bolle insert i use has two sets of arms that expand out to fill the goggle so can fit in other goggles.

I paid £150 for special RX goggles (without the insert) but have found that the RX inserts actually fit in to all my other goggles i own!

Just thought i would mention it, as i was able to replace my goggles with cheaper models that are not branded as RX able.
OP alansage 14 Nov 2013
In reply to sianabanana:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tempting to get a pair of the Smiths, though it's more than i was hoping to have to pay to solve this! I'm still a little unsure about the advantage of the inserts is - are they better for remaining unfogged, or could I buy some goggles and wear my existing specs underneath them with the same effect?
 Kelcat 14 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage: the main issue you'll face is fogging. I tried wearing specs but it just didn't work (though might with the fan assisted). It's the fan that makes the huge difference. I ski off piste mostly and even in harsh cold in the States you'll still generate a lot of moisture (especially if you *relax* occassionally like I do!).
But, and whilst I stress this, it may be a personal thing; check the shape of the inserts. I had addidas ones, and binned them as (for me) unwearable - I could actually see the insert, it was like looking through poor fitting binoculars. I did try Oakley, but at twice the price I thought they were actually worse goggles.
But, one last time, I really do think its the fan that you'll want.
 zoobizooretta 15 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage: cut the foam out the top air vents of your goggles to let the hot air out. They won't steam up as much.
 Trangia 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Kelcat:
> (In reply to Trangia) hi T, I'll go up in the loft & get the make model etc for you tomoz, pm me if I forget.

Have you had a chance to look in your attic yet?

Thanks
 Kelcat 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia: erm...see comments above...??
 alasdair19 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Kelcat: did you have the adidas like this?

http://www.adidas.com/Eyewear/content/en/products/10189/terrex-pro

the fan assisted sounds fantasticaly heath robinson! is it a rechargeable or rechargeable battery?
 Kelcat 22 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage:
Different shape, but pretty much the same.
The fan takes a small (AAA?) battery, I use rechargeables, but they'll do 3-4 weeks skiing most days between charges.
 CliffPowys 22 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage:

I climb in a pair of Cebe OTGs and they work well with my glasses with no fogging that I can remember.

The old-fashioned solutions are either spit or washing up liquid. I've tried both and they do work for a while. You can also get lenses with an anti-fogging coating but I have never had a need for them.

You will find many sprays intended for swimming goggles and the like if you Google for them.
 popebenedictus 23 Nov 2013
In reply to alansage:

The easiest way to ensure fog free glasses inside you goggles is to increase the airflow in the goggles by modifying the vents.

The foam that covers the vents can become clogged with ice as the temperature inside the goggles can melt snow into the foam which then refreezes blocking the vents.

I cut the foam out of some of the vents in the rim of my goggles and it sorted the problem out. Not had a problem with fogging glasses since.
OP alansage 25 Nov 2013
In reply to popebenedictus:

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys. I picked up a pair of goggles with a little fan on top for £20 on e-bay...fingers crossed they do the job!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...