UKC

UK to Norway ferry running from April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k_os 13 Nov 2013
If the link below is to be believed, the old newcastle to Bergen ferry route will be restarting in April next year, and it looks like it will be running through winter as well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%...
 d_b 13 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: Hell yeah!

Slugain Howff 13 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os:

Yes the Norwegians here are very excited by this news.

S in Stavanger
In reply to kos_os: About time! Great news!
 Peter Milner 13 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: Brilliant! So who's up for a trip there next year?
 Red Rover 13 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: Fantastic news!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os:

Great news and about time too - five years since they stopped it.

Time to load up the wagon!

Chris
 Cuthbert 13 Nov 2013
 Rich2002 15 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: Get in, BASE Jumping, climbing, paragliding summer road trip here we come. Best bit is you can stock up on food and booze in the UK to save paying stupid money in Norway.. plus Stavanger is a great night out. GREAT NEWS
In reply to kos_os: how much did the ferry used to cost? for a car + 4 passengers? how about a campervan?
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os:

How long to drive from Bergen to Romsdal anyone?
 Toby_W 15 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: We did this a few years ago and went all round the Jotunhiem, anyone else done this and driven through the worlds longest road tunnel?? 25km of dull with some cool blue lights in the middle and stopping area to stop you going insane.

Cheers

Toby
 d_b 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

A few hours. Well under a day. If you take the coast road then you have to account for ferry times, but it's not a big deal.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Cookie (North East Wales MC):

It used to be around £500 one way, with a car and two passengers plus a cabin,

Chris
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Tom Last)
>
> A few hours. Well under a day. If you take the coast road then you have to account for ferry times, but it's not a big deal.

More like a full day (10 hrs), either via the coast or inland, if I remember rightly,

Chris
 d_b 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I didn't find it that bad on the coast road. Maybe I was lucky.
In reply to davidbeynon:

450km, and 9hrs according to Via Michelin,

Chris
 Red Rover 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Thats really expsensive. Did you have to book a cabin?
In reply to Red Rover:

I don't think you had to book a cabin, but that was the old system. £500 is pretty pricey, but it a 24hr crossing, with your car and it gets you straight into Fjordland with all your gear!

Chris
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks David and Chris.
 ebygomm 15 Nov 2013

I can't imagine it will be much cheaper than that, the ferry to Denmark is about that much and it's a much shorter crossing.
 Red Rover 16 Nov 2013

OK. I'm planning a climbing trip to Norway this summer, just wondering whether to book cheap flights now and hire a car over there (how much does that cost) or wait and see if the ferry opens and is cheaper.
 GarethSL 16 Nov 2013
In reply to kos_os: finally i can get the motor over and fixed.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Red Rover:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> OK. I'm planning a climbing trip to Norway this summer, just wondering whether to book cheap flights now and hire a car over there (how much does that cost) or wait and see if the ferry opens and is cheaper.

Flights can be cheap, car hire can be expensive. You need to put your dates in and decide,

Chris
 Jesamine 16 Nov 2013
About 9 hours to Oppdal from Bergen, so probably the same to Romsdal. Possibly a ferry crossing or two. Proper nice drive
 Mike-Lea 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Red Rover:
Taking the ferry & a vehicle has the advantage of taking your own food (&beer) plus all your climbing gear & saving money on supplies whilst your over there.

I think there has been lots of talk over the last few years about re opening a ferry link to Norway, really hope it happens this time as Norway is a fantastic destination for a climbing road trip!
In reply to Jesamine:

Something that should be mentioned is that the driving time can't be varied very much at all, because there is a very strictly enforced speed limit of 80kmh.
 AndyC 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Mike-Lea:
> (In reply to Red Rover)
> Taking the ferry & a vehicle has the advantage of taking your own food (&beer)

Norway is not in the EU, sadly the tax free limit is 5 litres of beer, assuming you leave the single malt behind! You can, of course, take a chance on not getting stopped.
 Robert Durran 16 Nov 2013
> (In reply to Cookie (North East Wales MC))
> It used to be around £500 one way, with a car and two passengers plus a cabin,

If it's £1000 return plus another 2000 mile round trip to Narvik, I think I might just stick with driving via Calais and Denmark again!
 dunnyg 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: How long does that take?
 d_b 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

I got a "4 in a car" deal one time with the old ferry. I can't remember the exact cost, but I'm sure it was significantly less per head than Chris paid for 2. Couldn't have afforded 500 at the time.

In reply to dunnyg:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) How long does that take?

Four and a half days from Edinburgh . About 2500 miles (on my own so doing all the driving). Actually very enjoyable once in Denmark.

In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> I got a "4 in a car" deal one time with the old ferry. I can't remember the exact cost, but I'm sure it was significantly less per head than Chris paid for 2. Couldn't have afforded 500 at the time.

In 2004 I think it was about £500 return with four in the car, but you didn't have to take a cabin - most of these ferries seem to insist you take one now at vast cost.

Red Rover 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Robert Durran: Is that 500 for all of you or each? I'm suprised its so expensive. Is it a cruis liner type thing rather than a ferry? I'm tempted just to fly and do romsday by public transport.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...