UKC

Kinder and Bleaklow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VPJB 13 Nov 2013
Planning on walking in the peaks at the end of the month, is there snow at the moment?
In reply to VPJB:

No.
 tony 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):
> (In reply to VPJB)
>
> No.

But there might be in two weeks time.
 toad 13 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB: This time of year there can be snow in the morning and nothing by lunchtime - As to what it'll be like in 3 weeks time - ask the 8 ball, it's as good as anything else. Kinder's not very high, a long way south and it's very, very early in the winter
 Billhook 13 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:
Does it make a difference? You aren't going to need snowshoes, ice axes and crampons surely?
 Billhook 13 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

This will sort you out. Comprehensive answer to a common question

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=568862 (kinder???? in the winter climbing section.
 Al Evans 13 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB: I'm just so sad that people are still calling The Peak the peaks
 toad 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: What's sad is that I've got so used to it that I didn't even notice 'till you pointed it out
 imkevinmc 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I know I shouldn't rise to the bait, but....
The "Peak District" is comprised of peaks. I acknowledge the Dark Peak and the White Peak, hence peaks. Some claim there's a 3rd southern peak, but I remain to be convinced. So technically correct.
Signed
High Peak resident - so don't argue with me
OP VPJB 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: I need to accumulate days leading in the hills with summer ml so bringing a less experienced walker and so want to stay in remit.

In reply to Al Evans: Peak District would assume and area of peaks not one, I feel I should have used capitals though.
 toad 13 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

>
> In reply to Al Evans: Peak District would assume and area of peaks not one, I feel I should have used capitals though.

Al will explain, but Peak doesn't mean hill in this context.
This from wiki:

"Theories as to the derivation of the Peak District name include the idea that it came from the Pecsaetan or peaklanders, an Anglo-Saxon tribe who inhabited the central and northern parts of the area from the 6th century AD when it fell within the large Anglian kingdom of Mercia"
altirando 13 Nov 2013
In reply to imkevinmc: But surely there is something wrong with using the word Peak in any context? There aren't any, even the highest is a flat plateau. I remember a tourist leaflet years ago that talked of soaring peaks! How did the area get its name I wonder?
 rogersavery 14 Nov 2013
In reply to toad:
>"Theories as to the derivation of the Peak District name include the idea that it came from the Pecsaetan or peaklanders, an Anglo-Saxon tribe who inhabited the central and northern parts"

So it should be The Peaks' then
 MG 14 Nov 2013
In reply to rogersavery:

> So it should be The Peaks' then

Surely the Peaks' peak?, unless you acknowledge two, in which case the Peaks' peaks.
 Billhook 14 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

I don't think walking in snow alone is going to be outside the remit of summer ML. It's when you go into territory which requires 'winter' skills stuff that is outside the remit.
 Dan_S 14 Nov 2013
In reply to rogersavery:

> So it should be The Peaks' then

No, because it's a single tribe, so singular "Peak".
In reply to VPJB:

... and it's still not snowed
 Peakpdr 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

A few little bits on Kinder..nothing much though just patches
 Al Evans 23 Nov 2013
In reply to pauldr:

You peaks guys make me want to cry, I lived and climbed there most of my life and it was always The Peak, it is really only since bouldering became a distinct arm of the sport of rock climbing that this abomination has crept into popular usage.
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

This has nothing to do with bouldering an activity which has occurred in the area since before you started climbing.
 deacondeacon 23 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Haha. Sorry Al but that is a load of tripe.
 cragtyke 23 Nov 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Surely it's t'Peak, as in "going craggin' in t'Peak". It's an abbreviation of The Peak District.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...