UKC

Alpine and mountaineering boots. General usage advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Delta Wolf 16 Nov 2013
Hi all,
I am planning a trip to northern India to do some winter treks next year. I have done some trekking in winter but nothing like what I plan on doing. Are boots like the La Sportiva Nepal designed for 8-10 day hikes on rock, snow and general dirt trails?

I basically only want to take the one pair of boots for a variety of winter hiking. I don't plan on climbing so much but will be needing crampons and an ice axe for general alpine mountaineering. I guess there will be more walking than climbing, but in heavy snow, ice and steepish terrain.

Thanks all.
 JLS 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf:

Don't just take my word for it, I'd have thought those boots might be a bit too heavy/clumpy/uncomfortable for trekking but then I've never been to Nepal in winter so don't really know...
 david100 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf: I use those boots as a winter climber and I have no experience of trekking in India. do you already have a pair of those boots. Stiff b3 like the sportiva are designed for climbing not trekking. In my experience the stiffer the boot the harder it is to get a comfortable fit and for trekking I think fit and comfort will be important. Also the stiff sole is a liability on wet grass and wet rock.
 martinph78 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf: La Sportiva Nepals will be horrible for what you are intending to use them for. I've owned a pair, and I've trekked in northern India.

Are you sure you'll need crampons and ice axe? Which treks are you looking at doing?

The Scarpa SL (if you are sure you'll be spending a lot of time walking in crampons), or the Scarpa Ranger (for occasional flexible crampon use) might be a better bet for your trekking needs.

gethin_allen 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf:
I wouldn't want to be doing too much walking in my sportiva nepals, they are great for climbing and walking on snow but on solid relatively even rock my feet ache after a short while. I'd consider something like a sportiva trango evo or scarpa charmoz that will take a c2 crampon but are much more flexible and comfortable.
Note, I have no experience doing the sort of trip you are planning and don't know what temperatures you will be facing.
 chrisdevon 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf:

Have used the Nepals for 14 hour long days that included trails, woodland, rock, scrambling, glaciers, scree, ice and snow (inc crampon use). Always found them to be very comfortable, versatile, reliable and robust. Have also worn them for several long days in a row with no problems.

That said, I usually have three-season boots or approach shoes available for lighter days to give the feet a break when the opportunity presents itself.
Delta Wolf 17 Nov 2013
That is all helpful information. I don't own a pair of those boots but I was looking at them. Thought they could be used as an approach and accent. It is good to hear about their limitations. Thought they would be better suited than my current boots as they are warmer and possible have better water resistant properties, but after having read your views I will stick with what I have as they are better suited to hiking. And with bees wax and a good pair of gaiters thay will hold up ok.

The hikes I will be doing are found here:
http://indiahikes.in/himalayan-treks/
I'll be in India for about 7-8 months starting Oct.

Thanks everyone.

martinph78 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Delta Wolf: I think that is the right choice, especially if you are traveling for long periods.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...