UKC

Cinque Torri

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 17 Nov 2013
Thinking about going here at Easter. Is it a good time to visit?
Removed User 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown: probably not for climbing will odds on be metres deep in snow. V good for skiing though. I guess the odd south facing route my be ok but unlikely. I have walking though snow there last week in jun
 kenr 17 Nov 2013
Of course just across the road are several popular South-facing routes. Still need to deal with snow on the approaches and descents.
 Jonny2vests 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown:
> Thinking about going here at Easter. Is it a good time to visit?

To do what? Climbing season reliably starts in July. Plus the lifts are closed between mid April an early June, so you might have some long walk ins.
Removed User 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown:

We started a route there in sunshine and abbed off in a blizzard. We were frozen silly by the time we got down. Next day the towers were plastered and remained so for the rest of the week. It was midsummers day.
OP Motown 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown: Thanks - it was with the intention of climbing so August seems best, right?

Amazing photo in this week's top ten was the temptation.
 Dunx 18 Nov 2013
Summer months certainly better for climbing in the Dolomites, although August is a big Italian Holiday and is very busy. Weather dependant June can be a lot quieter. Look at James Rushforth's gallery for more inspiration. Don't just go to the Dollies for Cinque Torre, although it is a stunning place to climb. Single pitch climbing at City of Rocks, Castello, Saas de Stria. A huge number of some of the best multi pitch rock routes in Europe!
 Chris the Tall 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Dunx:
Cinque Torre is a great place to start in the Dollies, plenty of single pitch sport stuff to get started on, then easy multi-pitch to progress on to before you go and tackle the longer, more committing stuff elsewhere.

And all very close to a couple of refugios - though just be aware that the higher refugio has very strict meal times and a tendency of sprinkling grated horse flesh over seemingly vegetarian food !
 Mike-W-99 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown:
I'd go in July. Been three years in a row and on most routes we were either alone or 1st on the route. A bit of late snow was mildly irritating on the descent for one route this year.

Pete 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Motown: Some years ago I made the bad judgement of going to the Dollies in June. Our chosen venue for 'training' routes was the Sella Towers. An attempt on the Vinatzer Route involved over an hour approach through waist-deep snow (usually 15 min or so easy walk). The rock on the first part of the route to the big terrace was great - sun-drenched and dry. Then things deteriorated. I was starting the crux move off the big terrace when a party retreating from the summit warned us off saying the conditions higher up were horrendous. Our subsequent retreat down the snow and ice choked descent chimneys was a nightmare. Moral - go in late July/August and climb on sun-drenched rock all of the time as I have many times. Easter? I'd go to Sicily. Loads of great multi-pitch routes there in warmth and sunshine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...