UKC

Five year old thermals.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobbler 17 Nov 2013
That's thermals for a five year old! (apologies to Ronnie and Ronnie!)

Can anyone recommend high quality thermals for a five year old girl?

Thanks.
 Sharp 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler: HH, smartwool, icebreaker. All the main players in base layers do a kids range as well. I've only seen the HH ones in the flesh, and they're just a smaller version of the adults range so just as good quality. All very pricey though.
 Sonjita 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler:
Try TK Maxx, got all my kids ski gear from there for a fraction of the prices elsewhere
 girlymonkey 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler: where you based? Lekies in Falkirk has some kids icebreakers in very cheap. Its obviously pot luck with sizes available, but worth a look if you are in the area. I got a ladies 260 weight one for £28!
Rigid Raider 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler:

Winfields in Haslingden, if you're in the North West. Very cheap.
 Carolyn 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler:

Yes, Icebreaker are fantastic, Smartwool also good.

For synthetics - Patagonia, Odlo, Mountain Molehill (US kids brand - 5 is about the top, though).

Polarn o Pyret do both synthetics or merino.

The expensive brands above are pretty reliable in their sizing; there are plenty of cheaper ski brands (Mountain warehouse, Dare2Be, etc) but sizing can be a bit hit and miss, so I'd only buy them with child to compare against/if able to easily return. They're not nearly so efficient if they don't fit well! As a result, I tend to buy decent ones off eBay - and they've generally still been in a state to hand on after both my kids have worn them.
 TobyA 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler: In the UK we've found a number of sets in TKMaxx which our kids have been very happy with. Decathlon are the other obvious choice although we've also found their sizing to be a bit weird - best to go and try.

If you're ever on holiday in the Nordics, look for the big sportsshop chain Stadium. They have kids synthetics packs (tops and bottoms) from 15€ and merino packet deals from about 30€. My kids have been really happy with their cheapy ones.

For the type of stuff that a five year old is likely to be doing, just the basic synthetics will be fine I think.
 TobyA 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

> Polarn o Pyret do both synthetics or merino.

From the other PoP stuff I've seen I suspect you'll need a second mortgage for their merino!
 dek 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler:
> Can anyone recommend high quality thermals for a five year old girl?
>
> Thanks.

Nordic Outdoors, now have another shop in Bruntsfield, they've Aclima merino for kids in a sale. It's made in Norway, and brilliant quality stuff.

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/clearance/aclima.html
 LastBoyScout 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler:

Have seen Patagonia Capilene base layers and IceBreaker, to name 2, in TKMaxx in Kingston on Thames on Friday - seemed to be mostly women's, though.

Anyway, the company as a whole is putting out loads of ski stuff at the moment, so a good rummage in any of the stores you can get to might come up trumps.

Shame the Dainese back protector was way too long for me, as it was 75% off!
 martinph78 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Cobbler: As they'll have grown out of them by next winter I'd recommend the reggatta/peter storm thermals from GetOutside or similar.

I've got several sets of Peter Storm "active" thermals and they are pretty good actually. Do the job anyway, and for £10 the set have lasted me for years!
 Carolyn 18 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> From the other PoP stuff I've seen I suspect you'll need a second mortgage for their merino!

I've never yet bought anything PoP full price. Same for Icebreaker.
Only ever when *very* heavily reduced or off eBay
 Carolyn 18 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> Decathlon are the other obvious choice although we've also found their sizing to be a bit weird - best to go and try.

Or indeed, Go Outdoors, who appear to be operating a very similar busines model. They had kids thermals in today (when I eventually found them in the ski display by the entrance, rather than with the kids clothes), I think probably their own brand - although at about £10-£12 for each part (ie over £20 a set), not all that cheap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...