UKC

Barefoot running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom.fleming17 19 Nov 2013
I'm thinking of getting back into running and I have been looking at getting a new pair of running shoes.

I've been looking around and I have been researching the idea of using the barefoot running shoe style as it promotes a healthy style of the running based on the foot landing on the forefront of the base which is supposed to improve posture and eventually will decrease the risk of future problems within the actually foot.
I have actually read this in a fair few articles but I was wondering if anyone has a any experience to back this all up?
My other concern is a few years ago I broke all the metatarsals in my right foot and I am wondering if this type of shoe will affect that past injury at all?

Many thanks
Tom
 TomBaker 19 Nov 2013
In reply to tom.fleming17:
In short, awful idea.

The long form, if you don't have problems bare foot may be great for you.
If you have had problems before or for that matter are planning on doing your running on hard surfaces they are likely to break you.

I know a large number of people who bought into the entire fad, gently eased themselves in as you're encouraged to and have all ended up switching back after repeated injuries.

If you're keen buy some neutral shoes (no heel raise/same amount of padding front and back) that have some padding and work on running on your fore foot. Don't go and buy something that forces you to do something your body isn't used to.
 The New NickB 19 Nov 2013

I would just get some neutral lightweight shoes, as you get more experienced as a runner you are likely to naturally more to a more mid foot or fore foot style, but you could do a lot or damage using barefoot shoes if you are not used to the or not a natural mid / fore foot runner. Experiment after a few months and even then be careful.
Ste Brom 19 Nov 2013
There is a faint whiff of a vegans fart about all this barefoot running malarkey.
I tried it, off and on for a few months, and it made my ITB more sore than it ever had.
However, once I reverted back to type, it felt better than ever. Weird.

Be very careful, is the long and short, one mans meat and all that...
 TomBaker 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Ste Brom:
Its all a little odd, as the style they propose is the way i already run, but the "true" barefoot shoes ended up with me bruising the ball of my foot pretty badly. I now run in neutral, lightly padded shoes and love it.
 Juicefree 19 Nov 2013
In reply to tom.fleming17: I think the feedback is pretty much spot on.

Barefoot running has led to a lot of foot injuries; soft tissue and minor breaks to the foot bones.

Otis 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Juicefree:

Tenuously related, but there was a girl bouldering in barefoot running shoes at my local wall a coue of weeks ago. She was very good and was happily heel hooking her way up overhangs.

Anyone else heard of people using them for climbing, or can I just assume she had forgotten her climbing shoes that night?!?
 Marek 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Otis:
> (In reply to Juicefree)
>
> Tenuously related, but there was a girl bouldering in barefoot running shoes at my local wall a coue of weeks ago. She was very good and was happily heel hooking her way up overhangs.
>
> Anyone else heard of people using them for climbing, or can I just assume she had forgotten her climbing shoes that night?!?

I have some Merrell TrailGloves - most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, but... I would only run in them if it was short (a few km), guaranteed shot ground (grass, soft sand...) and I was not tired. Then they're fun. Otherwise, the risk of injury - trivial or serious - is just too high.
Climbing? Yes, great for heel hooks (really snug), but rubbish apart from that due to the wide, roomy, toe-splaying forefoot.
 Carolyn 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Otis:

Very much the same as above - I happily wear barefoot shoes for casual use, but when it comes to running on hard surfaces, I definitely prefer lightly cushioned, no drop shoes. And I've always spent a lot of my time truly barefoot.

Climbing - I've worn barefoot trainers for easy stuff, generally when I've been swapping frequently between entertaining kids and climbing, and haven't wanted to wear rock boots, or waste time swapping footwear. Fine for that (and definitely better than trainer with thick squishy sole), but the ones I have (Merrell/Vivo) unlikely to fit firmly enough for harder stuff. I've seen people boulder in Fivefingers, which might be a snugger fit, but I can't get over my impression that they must be uncomfortable!
 Os_878 19 Nov 2013
In reply to tom.fleming17: Barefoot running is a fitness fad, id avoid the shoes until you have strengthened your lower limbs (calves, ankles, foot arch & glutes) once you have done this then these shoes are more acceptable but still not for long runs, or regular training.

I brought into the fad...before it was a fad & injured my left leg completely havent pushed my climbing grade for a year because of rehab.

I use these shoes in the gym now as it help me root to the floor when needed but not for running.

But to recommend a shoe depends on where you plan to use them, Off road? Trail? Road?
 The Potato 19 Nov 2013
In reply to tom.fleming17: ive got some new balance minimus 00 shoes which are pretty thin, they are ok, but in future I will just go with some neutral shoes with little or no drop between heel and forefoot.
For fell running I use shoes with a 6mm drop and thats just right for me. I dont like a thick sole but for on road Im not very comfortable in barefoot type shoes
OP tom.fleming17 19 Nov 2013
Cheers for all the advice everyone. I think I am going try then out for a bit, light running work at first as I have a free pair and if I feel anything at all then back off.
My runnig style is already on the forefront of my foot so that's what ha made me warm to the idea not so viganism fad haha but that's for the advice anyway.
 roperat 19 Nov 2013
I got a pair given and now I love them.
I started off doing one of those couch to 5km programmes alongside my other running and now do all my easy runs in them (up to about 14km).
I've had no problems at all but starting infuriatingly slowly is definitely the way forward.
I also went for fell shoes with only a 3mm drop due to my success with Trail Gloves and haven't regretted it.
 SteveoS 19 Nov 2013

http://barefootbrazier.blogspot.co.uk/

Friend of mine living the barefoot dream.
Removed User 19 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveoS:

After a series of calf injuries and going over on my ankles I decided to try the barefoot running thing.

I went for Nike Free 5+ which are about as padded as a normal running shoe but have no lift and no attmepts at motion control.

It has been a huge success for me, no calf injuries, calf muscles no longer knotted up all the time. Also landing on the forefoot seems to make it a lot less likely you will go over on your ankle.

i have noew gone for a barefoot style shoe for trail running and thats working out well.

I did make the transition quite carefully using the Nikes on ruinning machines and then on the track for the first couple of weeks. Now I can do 5 mile road runs in them with no probs.

I read the obligatory "Born to Run" and that sold me on the idea.
 Ander 19 Nov 2013

I've clocked up a few thousand miles in various barefoot/minimal shoes.

Generally, my taste in barefoot shoes has got 'more minimal' over time.

My favourite shoe to start with (and so one I might recommend to you) are the Merrel Barefoot Glove
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/23456M/70133/Mens/Barefoot...

I've also used Vivo barefoot shoes, which I found generally good quality, but quite 'bare'

Five fingers were quite barefoot, I might like them now.

I'm curently in inov8s, one of which I really like, one of which I don't...

My advice is to get one with a little (a few mmm) of padding to start with. You might benefit from a small amount of heel lift too (3mm for example as compared to the maybe 10mm in 'normal' shoes) as I think this can help with the major aches and pains your body might feel as you get used to a new running style. If that's not clear, then you might get the idea from the inov8 website where it describes it's trainers in terms of 'drop' and 'footbed'.

The inov8 system, in my opinion, of dropping padding and dropping heel lift gradually ,doesn't work. Having used 'zero drop, zero padding' shoes and then 'gone back up to small drop, small padding' shoe it really threw my running style back to overstriding heel landing.

Get somethinn minimal, becuase you want it minimal enough to promote good form. But be wary of getting something too 'uncomfy' at the start until you mentally/phyisically adjust as you won't want to feel sore underfoot.
 Ander 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to Otis)
>
> Very much the same as above - I happily wear barefoot shoes for casual use, but when it comes to running on hard surfaces, I definitely prefer lightly cushioned, no drop shoes. And I've always spent a lot of my time truly barefoot.
>
Oddly, i prefer a little padding off road, as it helps with stones, etc. underfoot, where on a smooth road or pavement I don't really need any cushioning at all.

When I first started, though, I did like a little padding.
 Durkules 19 Nov 2013
I'm most certainly a convert to barefoot/minimalist shoes.

Despite trying a wide variety of supportive and cushioned shoes, as well as various insoles, over the years, I kept experiencing ITB injuries which prevented me from ever making any progress when it came to running (despite being fine doing other activities).

I took the punt 18 months ago and bought some Merrell Trail Gloves and have never looked back. Since then I've been running like never before and haven't experienced any injuries. I ran my first half marathon this year (on hard surfaces) and felt great, and have since ran up to 20 miles a time, pain-free.

The main difference most likely is that my form has now improved, leading to less stress on my tendons and joints, but I honestly don't think I'd have ever been able to develop this form in a traditional pair of running shoes.
 Wee Davie 19 Nov 2013

I've not used them but my brother in law (reasonably fit triathlete) bought a pair and then went straight out for a few road miles. He ended up being out injured for a couple of months afterwards.
He admits it was mostly his fault- apparently you really need to ease into using them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...