UKC

Emma Way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Guilty of two charges (failing to stop and failing to report).

A £337 fine, £300 in costs and was given seven points on her licence.

Lost her job because of the tweet but has signed a television deal!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25000788
 Loughan 19 Nov 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

> Lost her job because of the tweet but has signed a television deal!

Has she? On top gear? more details please!
 sleavesley 19 Nov 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: she will be on daybreak.
 Hairy Pete 19 Nov 2013

"The court heard she lost her job as an accountant as a result of the tweet"

So nothing to do with what was effectively a hit and run incident? Dangerous stuff this tweeting.

balmybaldwin 19 Nov 2013

I wonder if anything will happen with this one: http://road.cc/content/news/89779-daisy-abela-follows-emma-ways-footsteps-t...
 Toby S 19 Nov 2013

I'm impressed with how Toby Hockley turned it round so that at least some good came of it.

http://www.bloodycyclist.com/product/bloodycyclist-cycling-jersey/

In reply to Toby S: and the accounting firm has been doing sponsored rides!
 Toby_W 19 Nov 2013

I'm just stunned she hasn't apologised for hitting him and knocking him off his bike.

All she regrets is the tweet. Maybe legal advice but I'd have just said sorry. Very sad.

Toby
KevinD 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby_W:

> All she regrets is the tweet.

yes it does come across as rather "I am sorry I got caught".

Someone on the singletrack forums has found out that a deleted twitter account can be reregistered. So her account is back newer and better.

Timmd 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
>
> I'm impressed with how Toby Hockley turned it round so that at least some good came of it.
>
> http://www.bloodycyclist.com/product/bloodycyclist-cycling-jersey/

I agree, it's good to hear a person with some positive spirit.
 didntcomelast 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd: Just watched her interview on itv. She still claims she didn't knock Toby off his bike and this appeared to be supported by the two show hosts. Her solicitor also made light of the whole affair.

Very sad that this young lady is now being portrayed as the victim.
 balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast:

It's a disgrace
 Scomuir 20 Nov 2013
In reply to didntcomelast:

Apart from her behaviour, i'd be concerned about her ability to actually do her job given that she rates the tweet as "11 out of 10" on the stupidity scale, given that she's in accounting.
Tim Chappell 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:

Apparently it was "disrespectful" of the cyclist to be on "her" side of the road.

So how respectful is it to nearly kill someone?

She doesn't seem to get it at all.

It's like trying to reason with a 9 year old.
 Toby_W 20 Nov 2013

The bit the upsets me is not the accident or her driving (despite her other tweets). It may have been 50/50 fault, narrow country lane, blind corner. Not stopping, that's pretty bad but maybe she did see he wasn't seriously hurt.

It's the sleazy solicitor and the whole deny all responsibility part. Hey you may get into trouble so best start lying your face off. The courts clearly saw the various iterations of her story for what it was and have convicted her.

This does upset me, but should it? She's 22 and clearly a bit dumb and immature but the example of older, wiser people such as our MPs (??) who have done the same in far more serious cases (one quite recently) and gone to jail for it seems to set a poor example and say something about the honesty and integrity of a lot of people.

I wish a good friend or family member who just advice her to shut up and quietly disappear as she does herself no favours continuing this charade now the courts have found her guilty.

Cheers

Toby
Removed User 20 Nov 2013
What I find intriguing is the lengths she has went to here. The lawyer, the TV shows all the rest of it. There is a story here that I think is far more interesting than the girl hits bike - cyclist OK - drives away - says something stupid - get's convicted story.

What it is I don't know; self belief? entitlement? parents? just a snowball out of control?
 balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Well, you could say a desire to be famous for being famous much like many of the vacuous stars of reality tv that you find adoring women's gossip magazines.

She said something controversial on twitter to attract attention to herself in the first place, it gave her more attention than she could of imagined, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly what she was after, but just a bit more successful.

It's a very similar thing to trolling, just look at some of the posts on here of late (not that it's a recent thing) designed purely to illicit a reaction, and perpetuated so they can say look at me I'm no. 1 poster etc.

It is society that feeds these trolls, be it small-time on UKC, or people like Emma for 10 minutes in the real world, or people like Jade Goody & Katie "Jordan" Price who make a career out of it.

Of course it's not just Women that do this, and not just about non "serious" subjects - Richard Dawkins for one is deliberately provocatice as it serves his cause, and of course companies do it too "All publicity is Good publicity"
 balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I meant to add, of course the way round this would be if people and the press just turned their backs when people said stupid things trying to promote themselves, but this isn't the way society works.
 Cooper51 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: That's actually, like, quite disrespectful to most 9-year-olds
 Scomuir 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I agree with the sentiments above, pretty sad that she's playing the victim, and been pandered to as well.

Maybe she should change her name from "Emma" to "Outma", then get some t-shirts printed as well?
Removed User 20 Nov 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I kind of thought aong those lines myself but I'm intrigued at the persistence of innocence. Is this something a bit darker than celebrity wannabe? The total belief in being unable to be wrong, is this a reflection of what has been going on in our country in her lifetime? You can't possibly be wrong, ever.
 Toby S 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Christ knows, it's more likely that she's been led by the nose by her lawyer and he hopes to coin it in if manages to reach Z-list celeb status. What's the odds of her appearing in 'I'm a nonentity get me out of Big Brother Come Dancing' at some point in the next year or so?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...