UKC

Holes in rab down jacket by waist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 northcave 21 Nov 2013
In both my Rab down jackets holes keep appearing on the right hand side where the draw cord is and I can't figure out what does it! It is like abrasion causes it. Even when I patch with gortex rip stop it happens again!

Has anyone else got the same problem and figured it out?
 Sean Kelly 21 Nov 2013
In reply to northcave: Same problem exactly on my Generator jacket and it was only about a month old, but I had lost the receit. Should have took it back really as in every other way its a nice lightweight belay / cycling jacket.
 itsThere 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly: Dont need a receipt if you have a bank statement for proof of purchase.
 ciaran1999 21 Nov 2013
In reply to northcave:
Not your harness? Am always finding holes in t-shirts and jackets from them getting pinched.. No idea if that's not it..
OP northcave 02 Dec 2013
In reply to ciaran1999:

Nope haven't climbed in it yet. I have the receipt but its not the faulty of the jacket. Something I am doing is causing it and I know rab stuff is made well.
 SteveD 02 Dec 2013
In reply to northcave:

Car/front door, or fence when you are getting out of the car, anything you have to squeeze past when wearing it?

I get holes in T shirts but that is because I wear a bloody great brass buckle on my jeans
 SteveoS 02 Dec 2013
Belt?
 Carolyn 02 Dec 2013
In reply to northcave:

Yes, I'd imagine it gets pushed between two things - eg belt buckle and kitchen work surface (although I guess you're not wearing down jacket around the house - just the most common culprit in my clothes)
 ark05 02 Dec 2013

hot embers coming off a fire while you are sitting round?
Dorq 03 Dec 2013
In reply to northcave:

@northcave:

Some zipper pulls and cord locks have tiny brushes on the surface (google 'fingertip mat' for image), to help you grip them. They appeared on various garments, both sides of the pond, for several years but seem to have been phased out.

They can abrade the inside scrim of waterproofs and the pocket area around softshells. It might be that the Rab cordlock has this rough surface or the inner cordlocks of a waterproof that goes over the top has them.

Hope that helps, Jon.
In reply to northcave:

I've found the soft linings of many jackets get damaged around the hips, and surmised that nylon webbing belts may be the problem, since webbing can trap stray fibres at it flexes.

Something a bit more vigorous is going on in your case, if it's wearing through gore-tex patches, since they're pretty sturdy...

What sort of clothes are you wearing under the downie? tough nylon fabric? Something with velcro (although not usually a problem with smooth fabric like down shells).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...