UKC

new wheels, new cassette?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 21 Nov 2013
Fancy some new wheels for my Secteur triple, and am looking at Fulcrum racing 3's

since I currently run an eight speed cassette, I think I could just use that with a spacer, but if I get a 9 or 10 speed cassette instead I assume I'd need a new shifter as well? If I do that then everything soon starts to add up - whats the best option?
In reply to Dr.S at work: if you change the cassette, you will also need to change the chain, especially if you plan to go 9 or 10 speed. You will need a new rear mech also so it's def cheaper to stay 8 speed if that's what you've got.
OP Dr.S at work 21 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
hmmm, good point - bike upgrade thoughts alwasy end up with the point where I think that I might be better off just buying a new bike.....
 balmybaldwin 21 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Yes, a rear mech is recommended, however I have run an old 7sp xt rear mech on an 8speed cassette for ten years without any problems at all the range of movement is the key, as the mech just does what the shifter tells it until it hits the stop screws the question is if your 8sp mech can move enough to accomodate the new cassette
In reply to balmybaldwin: Upgrading to 9 speed becomes difficult to index if you don't change the mech and at 10 speed it's impossible thus requiring a new mech.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...