UKC

Boots to summit Island Peak and Mera Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
simmcc 21 Nov 2013
I'm summitting Island peak at 6200m and Mera Peak at 6500m, im wanting to use my La Sportiva Extreme boots with an insulated gaitor, but ive been told this will not be warm enough. Can anyone advise me please !!!!
ice.solo 21 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc:

unless its winter a single double will be fine. i did it in single scarpa cerro torres, no gaiter. no issues at all and we spent 2 days up there (island).
really, youre not up high all that long.
 Nath 22 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc:

I've done both of those peaks, I wore plastic but there was a number of people with us that were in single leather winter boots. Can't remember which types. I think the only problem they had was the boots were very cold to put on initially, everyone with plastic boots just wore their inner boots inside their sleeping bag so started with nice warm feet.

Nath
 Bootsy 22 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc:

Depends to some extent when you're going. You may find plastic boots are overkill and you can survive with some robust general / B2 mountaineering boots. When we went to IP in April one of my companions climbed in (rather heavy) Salomon Mountain Experts and the other got by in stiff, well dubbed, leather walking boots.

I would suggest that the priority is to make sure the boots you have fit and are broken in before you go and make sure you look after your feet on the trek up from Lukla. As simmcc says, you're not high for all that long.
 jon59 22 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc:

Ive used Nepal Evo extremes with Yeti extreme gaiters to summit both mountains last year, use a good set of new summit socks and a set of liner socks. The fit should be not to tight so you can wiggle your feet. I used a set of SK6 Northface boots up to 6800m with no gaiters on manasalu this year with no issues. I do however have good circulation and don't generally have cold feet.
 skiascent 24 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc:

I've used a double boot on both peaks, just in case its colder then normal. Its a long way to go to get cold feet.
I've got a pair of Scarpa Vegas going cheap size uk 10, if that's of any uses.

Email me for pictures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...