UKC

insurance for climbing is Australia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 22 Nov 2013
Might do a small spot of climbing in Australia in January - is climbing specific insurance a sensible thing here? I'll have regular traveling insurance...
 Climb1981 23 Nov 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Yes, I used to live in Oz and climbed in Araps, blue mountains etc

You have to pay for everything in oz, including Heath care.

Maybe try not to fall
 sean1 23 Nov 2013

One of the expensive costs in an accident is the ambulance or helicopter. They are not a free public health service . A and E are free and there was a reciprocal agreement between Australia and the UK not sure of the status now. Most people in NSW and Vic. join the ambulance fund and pay a yearly subscription, but you cannot get this unless you live there. An ambulance will cost you thousands and a helicopter a 5 digit cost. Get climbing insurance for the amount of time you are climbing for piece of mind. The last thing you need if you should climb that route or go for that hold is I wish I had insurance.
needvert 23 Nov 2013

Ambulances aren't free in NSW? Good lord what a useless country.
 CliffPowys 23 Nov 2013

You will definitely need climbing insurance in Australia for the above reasons, just as I need it when I come to Europe.

IMHO climbing at Arapiles is worth the small cost, just as climbing on Cloggy is!

sean1 24 Nov 2013
In reply to needvert:

They are even more expensive in Victoria. Arapiles is a 20 min drive from Horsham or 3 hours from Melbourne and the meter starts from the ambulance station.

http://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/About-Us/Fees.html
needvert 24 Nov 2013
So...Etiquette question, you find someone injured that needs urgent medical treatment, do you just call an ambulance or do you have to ask first? Presumably it's the victim that pays?

Some people would be happy to risk delayed treatment to save ~3kAUD.

In response to the OP...I'd get the insurance!
 jimtitt 24 Nov 2013
In reply to needvert:

> Ambulances aren't free in NSW? Good lord what a useless country.

I think you might be suprised at how many European countries charge for ambulances (and what an EHIC doesn´t cover)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...