UKC

Dundonnell - Letterewe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 23 Nov 2013
Thinking about walking in NW Scotland in April(pre-midge) next year. Anyone know what the weather tends to be like at that time?

Thanks
 BnB 23 Nov 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

I often take a trip to Skye in April and with satisfying regularity I get sun AND snow. Result!!

But sometimes it never stops raining. So, pretty much as you'd expect from the NW...

I always leave the departure decision to the last minute and I'd recommend doing the same if your work allows you to be flexible. It would be unusual not to find good weather conditions sometime in April.
 blondel 23 Nov 2013

I lived in Gruinard for 3 years. The first April was cold and clear, with lots of ice and snow and less wind and rain than usual. The second April was so dry that the riverbed at Dundonnell was almost completely dry and by May that year the mountains were like tinder (you remember the mountain fires in the Highlands in May 2011?) The third April it rained almost constantly, as it did everywhere else in the UK, everything was awash and there were lots of temporary new waterfalls throughout Fisherfield and Letterewe.

Does that give you any clues? - no! Go prepared for everything. Remember that it's likely to be wet underfoot and river crossings may be tricky; but take your ice axe, crampons and suncream too!
OP FesteringSore 23 Nov 2013
In reply to blondel:

Thanks.
In reply to BnB:

Thanks
In reply to blondel:

I thought Gruinard was infested with anthrax ;(
 blondel 23 Nov 2013

Yeah, it's why I've got green skin and cloven hooves
In reply to blondel:

Is the island still contaminated?
It was cleaned up over 30 years ago!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...