UKC

Recommend me a tyre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bigdelboy 23 Nov 2013
Hi all,
Got a road bike with 700c x 25 slick tyres on at the moment, however will be doing some tours shortly on mainly roads with some gravel paths also and my current tyres wont last long before getting punctures I reckon. Also not sureif my bike would take a wider tyre say 700c x 28 to make it a bit comfier? How would you measure this? Can you recommend me some tyres that would fit and stand up to job please? I guess a touring tyre would be ideal but there are so many to choose from, I need help deciding!
Thanks!
Del
 sleavesley 23 Nov 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/the-best-winter-tyres-for-road-c...

Here is a round up of the usual suspects.
The fours season are great tyres, but if its gravel paths and canal paths etc the panracer looks to get the vote - plus it will get you fitter due to increased rolling resistance Great winter training!
bigdelboy 23 Nov 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Cheers sleavesley! Yeah they look like just the job. Do you know how to measure to see if I could go to a bigger tyre width/size? Don't fancy buying a pair only to find they don't fit!
 sleavesley 23 Nov 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

What road bike have you got and what rims have you got?
bigdelboy 23 Nov 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Its a Genesis Ridgeback Day 05 - with a pair of Prolite wheels - just the basic ones, nothing fancy!
bigdelboy 23 Nov 2013
Just had a mini brain wave, my other half has a hybrid bike with 700 x 32 tyres on it. Just tried the front wheel on my bike and it only just scrubs the crown of the brakes. So 32 is too big but I reckon i'd get away with 28's. There is only a few mm gap on the rear wheel at the bottom bracket part though. Am I correct to assume though that its only a three mm difference from the current 25's up to the 28's?

FreshSlate 23 Nov 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

Tyres don't go on sunglasses silly!
 sleavesley 23 Nov 2013
In reply to bigdelboy:

They should just fit according to bikeradars review of the genesis day frame.
bigdelboy 23 Nov 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...