UKC

Rab Vapour-Rise Lite Alpine for Alpine summer use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 24 Nov 2013
Anyone used the Rab Vapour-Rise Lite Alpine as a outer layering piece for summer mountaineering?
I'll be using it as a windshell/light softshell layered over a long-sleeved baselayer.

Cheers,
BR
 pete johnson 24 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

Yes, it was great over a base layer. Would recommend.
 wupert 24 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

Yeah I have. I also use it for Scottish winter stuff. I wear it over either a rab meco or marino baselayer. Depending on the temp.
Its a great layer most of the time as it keeps most of the wind out but breath's really well. But if its really windy I pop a hardshell over it, as it doesn't keep all the wind out. I also have a nano puff which I carry spare or wear in-between hard shell and vapour-rise. I used these layers to summit Mont Blanc.
The only down-side is its not very strong and I ripped mine in half in a lovely granite chimney, but rab did an really nice repair. guess thats the trade off with very light kit.
OP Alpenglow 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

Can anyone recommend any other lightweight alpine softshells that are 300-400g?
 BnB 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

> Can anyone recommend any other lightweight alpine softshells that are 300-400g?

Montana Alpine Stretch. Brilliant.
 Jerry67 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

Mountain Equipment Microtherm jackets are good. They used to make one with a hood, but I think the current model has ditched the hood.
Jerry
OP Alpenglow 26 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB: Looks nice, but maybe slightly too heavy for what I'm after.
I already have a fleece lined heavy softshell for winter (around 655g).

Jerry: Do you mean the ME Ultratherm?

adam 24 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:
I used an arc'teryx atom lt hoody in the alps this summer and was really impressed. Very light, packs small, good wind-proofing and fairly warm. The nice touches are how well designed the cuffs and hood are, they just stay in place with no need for adjustment or fiddling. Not the toughest outer fabric though, could be easily ripped.
OP Alpenglow 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:
I probably should have explained myself more clearly.
I think I want a jacket that can do three main things (decreasing importance):

1) Alpine windshell/softshell
2) Scottish winter walk-in shell that will layer under a ME Pulsar when I start climbing
3) UK Mountaineering windshell/softshell

It needs to he lightweight (sub 400g), have a hood and relatively decent pockets.

I'm considering:
Rab VR Lite Alpine
Arc'teryx Gamma SL Hybrid Hoodie
Mountain Equipment Ultratherm

Does anyone have any experience in the above jackets or can suggest any new jackets?

TIA,
BR

Sorry for the long-winded post

Jerry67 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

Looks like Ultratherm is the updated Microtherm. Can't comment on Ultratherm as I've not used it, but here's a review.
http://testedtodestruction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/mountain-equipment-ultrat...
Jerry
simmcc 26 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:

I use it over a baselayer, its perfect, it wicks moisture away unbelievably well.
OP Alpenglow 28 Nov 2013
In reply to simmcc: The Ultratherm?
 Ron Walker 28 Nov 2013
In reply to blackreaver:
Yes, have used the RAB VR Alpine but found it wore very badly and was little warmer than a wind proof but wasn't actualy that wind proof!
I also have the older ME Ultratherm/Microtherm without the hood but with hand warmer pockets. The ME jacket is much better and great for walk ins or as an extra warm or wind proof layer, it also packs really small.
I would have bought the new hooded Ultratherm but as it didn't have hand warmer pockets, I ended up buying the Montane Krypton jacket instead. Although heavier it is wind proof and has both a hood and handwarmer pockets.
I'd buy the Ultratherm again if they made a smock version with both a hood and handwarmer pockets like the early Windproof and light RAB VR smocks!
Worth looking at the Buffalo Techlite smocks which were great but now only come in black, which I hate!

Cheers Ron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...