UKC

Central Asia trekking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kate Smith 25 Nov 2013
Hi,

I am trying to plan a trip to include a couple of weeks with my dad seeing the sights of Uzbekistan, followed by probably a week or so without him in mountains. I have done a lot of hillwalking and a reasonable amount of winter mountaineering in Scotland, which I love, so I'm OK with some amount of winter conditions. Not sure how I'd do at altitude. More bothered about having a journey to make and to see different landscapes and ways of life rather than summit bagging. Ideally I would join a group because I'm not convinced it would be fun on my own. Keen to put money in pockets of local people rather than government travel agencies. So, I am trying to figure out a few things:

- where to go - Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan or the more mountainous areas of Uzbekistan?
- when to go - want to avoid extreme heat when in the cities, but are spring/autumn conditions marginal in the mountains/are group expeditions on at these times?
- any recommendations for trekking companies (have seen thread about Kyrgyzstan so will check those out)
- any good books to read (guidebooks, travelogues, mountaineering adventures)

Thanks in advance for help and inspiration!

Kate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...