UKC

Skiing with a Baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveej 26 Nov 2013
Hi all,

Really want get away skiing this Christmas. Would normally be in Cham, but I'm not sure the Ski Station is the right place to be with a 4 month old baby.

Anyone got any experience of Nannies/Creches/Babycare and general cold weather baby considerations? In Cham or elsewhere.

Thanks
 JohnV 26 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:

Try the brilliantly named http://www.baby-cham.com/
 colina 26 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:
sounds like the baby is an inconvenience .maybe see if you can offload him/her on ebay .you could then enjoy your ski-ing.

Removed User 26 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:

You can't take babies up onto some of the higher stations IIRC due to altitude considerations. Skiing with babies is not a good idea so your best bet is to take along some grandparents.

That's what I did.
 Heike 26 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:
I personally havent, but i know lots of people who had great holidays in cham with a baby, there are lots of sitters and creches and you can always take it in turn for a couple of days and then get a sitter for another day?

We have taking our baby on an ice climbing trip when he was 6 months old, no probs, just wrap up warm, we were taking days in turn with pals and then they kindly looked after him for a morning whilst my hubby and i got a climb in together. You do what you have got to / can do !

i remember vaguely
that there is a Cham babysitter website as well.
OP steveej 26 Nov 2013
In reply to colina:

I'm a great believer in incorporating your baby into your life rather than giving up on life and using your baby as an excuse not to do things.
 WJV0912 26 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:

Bury your baby in the snow, they can survive for hours once the heart rate slows down. It's like short term hibernation.
OP steveej 26 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks, wont be taking the baby up the mountain. Want to keep it safe and warm indoors in the valley.

Will check out Baby Cham.

AG 27 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:

We went xc skiing in norway 2 years in a row and put our kid in a pulk - great holidays I have to say...very child friendly place.
Once they get to about 3 you can get them on the skis....now mine is 5 he's skiing great...not much he can't get down (except blacks).
 Carolyn 27 Nov 2013
In reply to steveej:

We took ours skiing their first winters at 3 months and 6 months - in 2 Valleys (Mottaret) both times.

Just had one adult ski pass and shared the childcare - we did have extra adults with us on one of the trips, but they weren't really up for looking after babies. They're quite happy with a bit of childcare now the kids are older and occupied by an iPad. Didn't use childcare - mine were still a bit unpredicatable (ie no routine) at that age, so quite hard to plan a good time to leave them. And they hadn't started nursery yet, so not used to it, and all seemed more hassle and exepense than it was worth.

At 4 months, the easiest way to keep them warm is to stick them in reasonably warm clothes, then in a sling under an oversized coat - much easier than dressing them in snowsuits, etc.

And yes, skiing from 3 or so. Last year the little one was 4 had his first lessons and was happily skiing independently. The 7 year old will soon be out-skiing me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...