UKC

Newbie: accessory cord question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
markinlondon 27 Nov 2013
Dig it: I've used climbing accessory cord for everything over the last 25 years… shoelaces, zipper pulls, lanyards, tent guy lines, rolled-blanket ropes, fishing stuff, camping stuff… I've used it endlessly, and every 5 or ten years I grab 50ft and use it until it's gone. The stuff is incredibly useful, well-made and lasts forever, so at pennies a foot it was a bargain. How often do you get to spend $10 on something lasts forever? Well, it's gone and I need to buy more, so I need some advice and guidance.

When I lived in Denver Colorado, it was easy: I'd go to REI where they had a few roles of 2mm or 3mm cord to choose from and buy it by the foot. Eeeezy-peezy. I had a choice of colours, and most importantly, texture. Some of it is stiffer or softer, and I always tended to get the softer stuff. I simply found it more manageable to knot and it was more comfortable on my hands. I had a length of purple 3mm cord that I loved so much that I brought my remaining three meters to England! Actually, I never leave home without a few yards and have used it for a laundry line in Greece and repaired a busted bag with it too. There's even a couple of yards in my school-bag. I love the stuff.

But it seems that no shops have a choice of cord anymore, certainly not like REI did. The shops and websites simply have one, take it or leave it, and since I've become a bit of a cord-snob over the years, I'm simply not happy with my choices. I keep this stuff for a long time, and really need to like it.

So I have a few questions, and it's critical to note that I do not drive, so all my shopping must be done online or over the phone.….

Was I lucky, and bought cord during the Grand Old Days of Rope Renaissance, when there were choices, but it's now so disposable that no one cares it their cord is too stiff or smooth or a stupid colour, and simply buys what's available?

I read a lot about paracord, and even have a bit of it, but it seems very redneck. Has the accessory-cord crowd switched to this crap?

Are there any phrases or brands I should I should look for if I'm searching for softer cord? What should I ask for when calling these shops?

The websites seem like to treat it like a generic product. Do they care anymore, or simply get whatever they can find and sell it cheap, or is there a particularly high-performance type that I should spend the time hunting for. I'll hunt for it; trust me on that one.

Are there any questions that I didn't ask? What questions would an astute cord buyer ask of a supplier?
 alooker 27 Nov 2013
In reply to markinlondon:

you're really into accessory cord, huh!

Can't say I've ever bought much, just for snake cord or to resling hexes. Colour doesn't influence my decision at all, and I can't say that stiffness has either. If it starts off stiff it tends to get softer with use anyway...
 jimbo85 27 Nov 2013

"the accessory-cord crowd"

??

markinlondon 27 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker:

It's funny, I don't recall my cord ever breaking in and softening up. The last two lengths I picked up in England are too stiff for my liking, and I suppose that the last time I got good cord was so long ago that I thought that perhaps the industry had changed to stuff that was stiff and slick, not soft. Do you know what I mean, or does it sound like I'm nuts? Does anyone else have cord predispositions or favourites?

It's also important to know that I'm not a climber at all. Never been, and probably never will. I just love the cord and figured that you guys could point me in the right direction. All the online stores have either one kind and/or no description, and all I want is some great soft 2 or 3mm cord
 rallymania 27 Nov 2013

any reason you couldn't just buy from the shop in the US you last bought from? if the postage is obscene, do you know anyone in your old town that could help you out and post it to you at a sensible price.

i must admit, i've never really given it that much thought

nniff 27 Nov 2013

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Cord-Tape/Cor...

probably as good as you're going to get in this day and age. Not nearly as common as it used to be for various reasons mostly to do with the nature of modern climbing gear.

You could try a chandler. They might have a wider range
markinlondon 27 Nov 2013
In reply to rallymania:

the funny part is that my friend in the states is doing that very thing.

Because it's been so long since I've had to re-up, it's unlikely that the same cord is still there. So she's going to all her favourite climb shops (she's a mountain-walker), picking up a foot of every 2 and 3mm cord and sending it me. I'll choose and then get a huge care package !!!! YEAH!

It would have been nice to find it here, but shopping for it has been problematic enough for me to join this board and ask.

I find it hard to beleive that no one else is this peculiar about their cord. You all seem to get geeky about climbing rope, so I figured you'd be the same with accessory cord.
 Wingnut 27 Nov 2013
2-3mm is a bit small for most climbing applications. Typically, you use around 5mm for prusik loops, and if you still have loose hexes (no longer made) then even the smallest one needs 4mm cord with most of the larger ones needing 9mm.

2-3mm would do for things like nut key lanyards, but even then a thicker and stiffer cord is less likely to tangle in things, catch in carabiner gates etc.

It's something I doubt the shops shift much of, and there's no point stocking something people don't buy.
Linden 27 Nov 2013

Try yacht chandlers, most will have a good selection of ropes and strings. I also keep an eye out for 2-3mm for decorative knot work.
needvert 27 Nov 2013
 Firestarter 28 Nov 2013

Try searching for 'para cord'. Good stuff in the thickness you want.
 kingborris 28 Nov 2013

If you're in London, try Arthur Beale on Shaftesbury Avenue. They may have something.

Billhook 28 Nov 2013

You could always try counselling if you can't find the right cord!
 cuppatea 28 Nov 2013

You seem to have struck a cord with a few posters

Good luck!
 ablackett 28 Nov 2013

There is a cracking online place I know. Sells most things you could want. I found this cord on there, might be just what you are after.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ball-of-String-40metre-Thick/dp/B004BU0078/ref=sr_1...
 yellowsmudges 29 Nov 2013

joe brown in llanberis have lots of different types of cord
 alooker 29 Nov 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

Good to see someone can string a sentence together to make a quick joke on this here thread.
 cuppatea 29 Nov 2013
In reply to alooker:

Thank you

Sorry that it was a bit of a ropey joke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...